Mixer mic channel hum

elector

I have a Ghibli Alto FX16 mixer connected to the pair of Edifier R1280T
The 4 mic channels create a terrible hum. Even without a mic connected to them. Just as you give it close to 50% of power.
I suspect it is a grounding issue but how to solve it in a home environment?

Thank you

What are you attempting to do?

- The R1280T's have RCA input jacks which implies input levels from a consumer type of device such as an iPod, computer line out, or similar. The Alto FX16 mixer is intended to be connected to a device or speaker(s) which can accept pro line levels which are higher than what these speakers are intended for.

- The R1280T's appear to be inexpensive "bookshelf" type speakers. Are you trying to use them to amplify microphones through the mixer (karaoke?)

- The Alto FX16 manual shows balanced XLR connectors for its Main out. If you're using these, what kind of adapter are you using to get to unbalanced RCA plug connectors to the R1280T's? This may be the key to the hum problem.

- If you are using microphones, how are you setting the channel gains and subsequently Main Mix Level?

it's some kind of grounding issue, that could potentially be fatal, you need to open it up and see what's going on inside, it wouldn't surprise me if the circuit is not grounded, take it to someone that knows what they are doing, it can be dangerous.

it's some kind of grounding issue, that could potentially be fatal, you need to open it up and see what's going on inside, it wouldn't surprise me if the circuit is not grounded, take it to someone that knows what they are doing, it can be dangerous.
I believe it's already claimed a fatality as it's been 2 days and we've heard nothing from elector :eek:

I believe it's already claimed a fatality as it's been 2 days and we've heard nothing from elector :eek:

Hi guys

That's a good one! :) Although, joking aside, I felt a small electric shock through my mic last time...
I haven't received notifications that there are replies to my post so I only came now to see what is going on.
The setup is on my desk and it is for small recordings. Voice and guitar, nothing serous. But the humming of the microphones is very annoying and it takes me hours to remove it in a sound editing software.
I believe it comes from grounding as well and the device is powered by an adapter transformer that should have grounding.
It is all plugged in to the same power line and I will try plugging it into a different plug to see if there is a difference.
All the other devices plugged into the mixer create no hum, only when a mic is plugged in a phantom power kicks in.
I know very little about electronics so if this does not sort out the problem I will take the mixer to someone.
Is there some sort of electronic that can be put somewhere in between the power line or mic cable?

Thank you.

I have to say that even without mic plugged in, if I turn on the volume for a channel, it still makes a hum noise.

Back