Mixer Maintenance

I'm not sure the is the best forum, but there does not seem to be a Mixer or a Yamaha forum, so here goes....(if you think this belongs elsewhere let me know).

I have a very used Yamaha 02R. It works well, but it's a little noisy and the automated faders look challenged. Next week I plan to open her up and do what I can. I'm looking for advice. I found the service manual. I'm only looking to clean, lube, and other basic 'repairs', nothing too surgical.

Can anyone offer any advice before I get started? I plan on bringing screwdrivers and pliers, compressed air cans, and a can of deox spray. I'm not planning on brining a soldering iron, but I can. Am I forgetting anything?
Thanks in advance!
-j

Pliers are not the best way to remove nuts. Nutdrivers are much better in most cases. Wire snips are nice - you probably don't want to cut any wires, but you might need to cut some zip ties and snips can be better than scissors for that. Something to hold and/or organize all the little screws and nuts and knobs and stuff. A camera to take pictures of what it looked like before you tore it apart and where all the damn screws go. Cotton swabs. A six pack and a couple joints.

I don't repair stuff like this per say, but done enough disassembly on a whole variety of things to know that while you're dissembling you can think you understand and will remember what/where everything is and goes- but it can go to hell quick if you don't keep on top of it as you go then. Take lots of notes, pictures?, jars to keep things grouped/segregated etc. A small set of diagonal cutters are always handy (gets you in close safe.

I don't repair stuff like this per say, but done enough disassembly on a whole variety of things to know that while you're dissembling you can think you understand and will remember what/where everything is and goes- but it can go to hell quick if you don't keep on top of it as you go then. Take lots of notes, pictures?, jars to keep things grouped/segregated etc. A small set of diagonal cutters are always handy (gets you in close safe.

Oh man, +1. I take a lot of shit apart and learned this lesson very quickly.

I can go stage by stage, layer by layer, thinking oh yes..I'll remember this.
20 minutes later it's as if someone put an electronic device in an industrial shredder then threw the remains at me. :facepalm:

Find the closet furthest from where you'll be working. Hide the calibrated nut/bolt rounding tool (pliers) there until you're done. Use some nutdrivers or deep well sockets instead.

Go ahead and get some Deoxit for cleaning controls. There's a version made for faders with plastic internals.

I'd probably replace the electrolytics in the power supply as long as you have it apart, if you have adequate knowledge and experience.

Here's the service manual: http://bee.mif.pg.gda.pl/ciasteczkowypotwor/SM scena/Yamaha/YAMAHA 02R.pdf

Back