Mixer hum?

J

jokerone

I have an Alesis mixer I've owned for about 4 years.

The past couple of days, I've when I power it on from a cold start I get hum that lasts about a minute then slowly goes away. after 3 mintues you can't hear it anymore. I listened from the headphones so I know the problem isn't in the monitors.

Any ideas?

thanks.

I've isolated the hum, and its constant, not just at startup and VERY loud.

It is coming from the mixer. I've disconnected everything but the power supply and headphones.

Could it be a bad power supply or the mixer went bad?

thanks

I've isolated the hum, and its constant, not just at startup and VERY loud.

It is coming from the mixer. I've disconnected everything but the power supply and headphones.

Could it be a bad power supply or the mixer went bad?

thanks
could be either .... what kind of power supply is it?
Is it something that you may have another of?

could be either .... what kind of power supply is it?
Is it something that you may have another of?

Hi, no its some goofy one that alesis makes. I looked it up its $26 from BH.

However, I may have found the problem. Everybody seems to have problems with their capacitors. youtube videos show how to fix them, and I found this link too.

Multimix hum issue. - Gearslutz.com

It's not just Multimix, though 4 years seems awfully young for problems to start.

The sort of hum you describe is a symptom of the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply drying up. As noted above, you can buy a replacement fairly cheaply or replace the caps yourself--but all too often this is just a first problem and other things will start to crop up.

It's not just Multimix, though 4 years seems awfully young for problems to start.

The sort of hum you describe is a symptom of the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply drying up. As noted above, you can buy a replacement fairly cheaply or replace the caps yourself--but all too often this is just a first problem and other things will start to crop up.

I have had nothing but problems with this Alesis mixer. In their defense I bought it used, but the first problem was drivers. They have a greek company write their drivers for them, and the audio going down the USB pipe ended up getting pops, crackles, snaps (rice crispees) after about 2 minutes of use. you power cycle the mixer and the problem went away for another 2 minutes then would slowly return after about 30 seconds it will be unuseable.

now the hum issue. My next Mixer will be an Allan & Heath. I've only heard good things about them.

Actually I don't need many channels, I just need it in a rack out of the way.

Nice Joker!

I'll have to book mark this for when this problem/question pops up in the forum again.

happy to. I just ordered both capacitors from digikey. I'll post after they are installed and see if they made difference.

happy to. I just ordered both capacitors from digikey. I'll post after they are installed and see if they made difference.

Please do.
Looking forward to a first hand account.
Though one should believe everything they see on the net -right? ;)

Yes, please let us know if it works. I have an Alesis multimix, don't have your problem, but don't want to either.

Hum Free!
I just put the new capacitors in the mixer and it works great. It seemed to be the same one everybody is having problems with. The big one 2200uf 35v.
I’m going to put together a detailed parts list and references on the Alesis board here tonight, and then link to it from this thread.
Thanks.

Were you having problems with the phantom power as well??

I don't use the phantom power, or I should say I haven't for a long time, so I can't see if I was or not.

the fantom power goes though that same board so I would assume it might be related.

thanks

To bad. For another problem is phantom power failure.
I bet that may fix it as well - what do you think? Or is it a different cap?

To bad. For another problem is phantom power failure.
I bet that may fix it as well - what do you think? Or is it a different cap?

It could be a cap or something else. There are 13 capacitors on that board i think all of them together cost less than $20. It could be a cold solder joint too. I had that happen once on an Hitachi TV made in Mexico (never again).

Back