mixer gain setting

Karel Lootens

hello,

I've just received my UB-802 (yes, I went for the Behri since it sounded like the best deal for me) and I was wondering how to set up the gains in order to minimise the noise from the mixer.

I read the gain fitness article that was linked to e couple of weeks ago so i already know I should set the pre-amp gain so that the clip led doesn't come on at the loudest part of the music. I then reduced it a little further since I read the Behri's are only good for a limited amount of gain :)

I'm only using 1 mic channel, should i set all the other dials to minimum? or doens't that influence the signal (can't imagine that).

and since I'm only using one mono channel, how should I set up the gains? I mean, there is the channel gain and the master gain, where do I put both in order to get minimal noise wrt the signal?

thanks in advance,
Karel

Normally when ever im using a mixer, and only one or two of the chans, i always keep the other chans set to 0. To stop any noise that may appear.

- Idgeit

If it has meters, set the channel gain so that the meter reads around 0, still making sure the clip light doesn't come on. You normally have to solo the channel to make the meters read the channel gain.
Next set the master gain so that the meters read the same way (after unsoloing the channel)
This shoud translate into a good, safe signal with a minimum of noise to feed the next thing in the chain.

Back