midiverb 4 vs microverb 4 for vocals? which is better?

mofat

I have a midiverb 4....its ok. Haven't really mastered it yet but curious about its other sibling...

I've got both. The MidiVerb4 is my favorite of the two. It gives you way more control and flexibility. I only use the Micro when I need something quick and easy. The MidiVerb has a slightly more "old school" reverb sound, which I like. I am also a big fan of the MidiVerb 2 for the same reason. The MicroVerb4 has more clarity and hence a more open sound, which can sound good on certain types of music production but can also sound cheap if you're not careful. The MidiVerb 4 is always my reverb of choice on live recorded drums. If my MidiVerb 4 broke, I'd buy another.

Vbass, which preset do u recommend for singing pop? I haven't strayed from preset no. 19. I don't quite understand the 4 parameters on each preset. Could u explain?
Oh and most importantly....how do you do factory reset on the midiverb?

Vbass, which preset do u recommend for singing pop? I haven't strayed from preset no. 19. I don't quite understand the 4 parameters on each preset. Could u explain?
Oh and most importantly....how do you do factory reset on the midiverb?

Do you have the manual - it's easy to find via a quick Google?

Do the outboard reverb units sound much better than plugin ones or are there other reasons why you're using it? Analog recording?

I guess I'm looking for a good excuse to get one myself :D

Do the outboard reverb units sound much better than plugin ones or are there other reasons why you're using it? Analog recording?

I guess I'm looking for a good excuse to get one myself :D

The Midiverb is a relatively cheap, digital effects unit, so could probably be outperformed by decent plugins. Indeed, I find Reaverb with good impulses sounds way better (although, I might not be able to get the best out of the Midiverb). The reason I got one was to pipe reverb into my headphones while tracking vocals with no/very little latency. I guess higher end gear, particularly analog, might be able to outperform any plugins available.

The problem with Plugs is that you inevitably need to tweak them to death to get a reverb that works for the track. I can usually get an outstanding reverb that fits the track within a few minutes using the MV4 or an Alesis Wedge. I've spent a lot of time with the Waves and TC Electronic reverb plugs, but if I can't treak something good out them within a few minutes, I'll move to a hardware reverb. My go to vocal reverb is a Wedge edit of preset 24 Vintage Plate. I usually just modify the Decay time and the high & low dampening to get something that fits the track. On the MV4 I would probably start with preset 23 Long Plate and modify it a bit, if you shorten the decay time, it's a solid Plate reverb sound.

Back