Microverb Question

jweingarden

I just got an original Microverb from GC...

It sounded great for a few seconds, then crackled and the revreb died - only dry signal is coming through.

At first, I thought it was a short in the defeat jack, sending the effect to ground, but didn't see anything unusual inside the Microverb.

Then I noticed GC sent me the wrong power supply; it was 9.5VAC rather than 9VAC.

Could the power supply issue be the problem?

If so, did this fry my Microverb, or will getting the correct power supply get it working again?

I just got an original Microverb from GC...

It sounded great for a few seconds, then crackled and the revreb died - only dry signal is coming through.

At first, I thought it was a short in the defeat jack, sending the effect to ground, but didn't see anything unusual inside the Microverb.

Then I noticed GC sent me the wrong power supply; it was 9.5VAC rather than 9VAC.

Could the power supply issue be the problem?

If so, did this fry my Microverb, or will getting the correct power supply get it working again?
very many of those power supplies vary in voltage and most of them will put out a little more than 9v ....... getting 9.5 volts instead of 9 will NOT harm anything. You could probably run it at 12 volts with no problem so that's not it.

Thanks guys - I thought the same thing about the power supply, but wanted to make sure...

I've triend every possible configuration with the plugs - nothing worked.

Does GC have a short warranty? If it failed that soon, you might argue the point with them. If not you might see if you can get a schematic from Alesis, but considering the cost of those used, a component level repair unless you're up to it yourself may not be worth it. The only thing I can think of that may be obvious is a capacitor on the power supply inside, (not the ac adapter) Look for any that are puffy.

Look into the warranty thing first but if that's no good do open it and have a look.

There are probably a few ribbon connectors in there that you could reseat, and it'd do no harm to spray a TRS with cleaner and work it in and out of the jack sockets a few times.

As mentioned, have a look for domed capacitors. If your power supply has caused a problem (which I doubt), it could very well be a visible problem.

Just for the heck of it if you haven't already, try plugging a 1/4" plug into the defeat jack a couple of times. Wondering if the defeat jack may have a "bypass" contact which may ground the "tip" connection normally to enable the effect and in it that got dirtied up and cuts out the effects.

good idea

Back