mic pres for elec guitar

starry blake

Hey yall, I love forums and sharing knowledge, very hreat and helpful.

My question today- I really like my Bellari 220 dual tube mic pre for electric guitar. I like the fact, especially for guitar, that it has a gain knob and volume knob which really allows me to have more edge and tonal control (can make the guitar more toney and edgy or more smooth by controlling this gain stage) than ones with only a volume/output knob wherein all I really get is a very clean tone and good level through adjustment.

I was wondering what else is out there that sounds really good on electric guitar in the same price range ($350 or less for 2 channels). I prefer for the pre not to have EQ (or compression but compresion would be ok) as one of my strategies is more perfection in mic positioning, level output adjustment on mic pre, and the actual mix to get good tone and trying not to mess with the EQ as much as possible (although I know it helps under certain instances).

Thanks guys and gals!
Blake

I really don't know if there is such a thing as a mic pre that just kicks ass on electric guitar. The sound comes from the amp, the mic picks it up, and the pre merely amplifies the signal from the mic.

Any subtleties imparted form the mic pre will be far overshadowed by the relatively large amounts of distortion, noise, and other colorations from the amplifier.

That said, I suppose the nicer mic pres out there, particularly those with transformer input, will tend to work a little better with dynamic mics ... so assuming you're mic'ing your amp up with an SM-57 or similar dynamic, then I suppose you might benefit from a preamp that will get the most out of dynamic mics, in general.

Impedence-matching also plays a small role. The Bellari, for example, is very very low impedence compared to most everything else out there. This can have a sublte effect of rolling off the higher and lower frequencies ... resulting in a midrangier sound, which can be good on electric guitar in some ways.

Back