Mic Preamp under $1500

I think he meant people reviewing the product should have experience with it - not the person reading the review. There is a HUGE tendency for people to regurgitate what they've read on the intrawebs, without any first hand experience - I guess they feel like they are knowledgeable. Every piece of gear I comment on, I have used myself, unless I state otherwise in the post.

Certainly there is the issue of people just repeating what they have read on the web. That issue is discussed on GS as well. You just need to keep track of who is saying what. If you spend any time on the GS board it usually becomes pretty apparent who is speaking from experience - and there are a lot of people there with just amazing experience. Ya just need to pay attention.:D

And to take it one step further - you will find that certain pro's have a similar style as you do, and their advice tends to work better than other pro's. For me, the big three have been Fletcher, Thrillfactor (I'd really like to know who he really is), and Michael Wagner.

Increasingly it seems like folks think we should just embed an HTML redirect to the Gearslutz search page :)
As an avid Gearslut (both in regards to obsessing about gear and participating in the board) and lunchbox user/fan, I'd also highly recommend checking out the non-lunchbox Langevin Dual Vocal Combo. If you can find a good deal on a used one, plus grab a inline phase reverse connector (an oddly absent feature) and a Triton Audio Fet Head (in case you want to use an SM7 or other mic that requires loads of gain-- the DVC is a little shy on gain, but has plenty for condensers) you'd have two channels with great pres, useful shelving eq and great tracking opto limiters.

Thanks for clearing that out, guys. :D

Man, you really need lots of time and money to learn these stuffs. Sometimes you only get one or the other. You can't really learn these stuffs if you only have money but no time to learn it and vice versa.

I think they just have great return policies and that you actually have to buy the stuff first, but I may be wrong on that.

Both Mercenary.com and vintageking.com will let you buy and return after trying for a week on certain items like 500 series modules. I would call them and check it out. Certain boutique gear like Aurora is strictly no return policy.

Both Mercenary.com and vintageking.com will let you buy and return after trying for a week on certain items like 500 series modules. I would call them and check it out. Certain boutique gear like Aurora is strictly no return policy.

Even on microphones too?:D

I concur. I have a Demeter stereo tube preamp, which is quite nice. My next door neighbor has an API lunchbox with a 512, which is even nicer. I just finished assembling a Seventh Circle Audio API clone, the A12, which I think sounds even better than the API. I've heard their Neve clones and John Hardy clones are amazing, too.

2 channels of API clones + 8 space chasses and power supply = $1000.

Awesome. You have any pics of it?:D

Not sure if anyone here has heard of Seventh Circle Audio, but they make (or you make) the best preamps for your $$$. They sound good and are worth much more than they cost. They sell a variety of different pres, check it out.

http://www.seventhcircleaudio.com/

I concur. I have a Demeter stereo tube preamp, which is quite nice. My next door neighbor has an API lunchbox with a 512, which is even nicer. I just finished assembling a Seventh Circle Audio API clone, the A12, which I think sounds even better than the API. I've heard their Neve clones and John Hardy clones are amazing, too.

More on Seventh Circle

I have 1 Neve clone and 2 T15 pres. The Neve pre sounds amazing, and the T15 preamps are very clean and clear. You can't go wrong with any of their pres.

Back