Mic pre for acoustic guitar & some vocals

I've been very happy with my Great River MP2. It's a tad over your budget though. I get a very clean, accurate image of my guitars and my (attempted!) vocals.
What mics do you have for the vocals and guitar?

Not to sound like a broken record

Don't forget about the RNP from FMR Audio. I love mine for Voice and acoustic guitar. You can get the 2 channel pre for about $475 and if you add the compressor (RNC) your still only out about $650 for 2 channels of really good pre and compressor.

tmix

The pre's you've described... Joe Meek, maybe Vintech Neve clone etc. are all quite colored. If you're looking for that kind of '70's Neve'ish kind of "Rolling Stones' acoustic sound (ala "Angie" etc) then definately go for one of them.

It really depends on your playing style.

If you are into more fingerstlye, folk or classical style playing then a more accurate sound may be something to consider. Bear in mind that your mic choice will make even more of a difference all things considered. And then we're talking stereo micing to boot!

Something I would definately consider is the Sytek MPX4.

http://www.sytek-audio-systems.com/mpx4a.html

While it lists at $1680, apparently Sytek have dropped the price considerably and they can be picked up close to $1000... AND they're a FOUR channel unit.

I used one about six months ago and was most impressed.
If you're looking for a lot of coloration then don't go for the Sytek.
In comparing an RNP to the Sytek I would say the RNP is 'kind of' similar but with a little more color. Remember that, per channel, the RNP and the Sytek are priced in the same ballpark... although the Sytek doesn't have a direct input.

Basically the MPX4 is very clear and focused without ever being thin, solid in the bottom end without ever being muddy and sounds amazing on acoustic guitars or pretty much most things. Would be excellent for recording acoustic instruments (classical etc) where you require a minimum of preamp coloration.

Really lets you hear your mic collection! ;)

Last edited:
I can seriously recommend the Joemeek twinQcs. You can upgrade to digital out and still be well under $1000, or buy an RNC also. I have used this as a studio staple since the beginning of the project, and it has worked without a hitch as a DI, vox box, and on acoustic guitar. I currently also own an Avalon AD2022, and the Joemeek is still often the pre of preference. Actually, most of it's so called "color" comes from the optical compressor. If you turn it off, it gets surpriseingly clean. If compression is needed, but I still want clean, I use the RNC as an insert. I have heard no compareable dual channel strip anywhere near it's price range. There may be better pres than a Joemeek for certain applications, but I have heard nothing that helps as many different tracks to sound.-Richie

P.S.- I did have a small problem with an improper installation of the A-D upgrade by the vendor, and PMI's customer service was mind numbingly effective. I would buy this unit again, in a heartbeat.

Jim S said:
Especially for acoustic guitar consider a high end Joe Meek, maybe Vintech Neve clone, etc? Trying not exceed about $1k or so.

The RNP is a good suggestion. Think stereo for recording. Another pre suggestion is the Pendulum SPS-1 (used). It's a great mic pre with high quality parametric eq, as well as other features (inserts, mixing, etc.). It also doubles as a stage gig preamp for acoustic guitar with dual source pickups (e.g., pickup/mic).

Of course, as soon as you get a quality preamp, you'll want two decent (or better) microphones. Then it will be a DAW. Then high quality converters.

You're beginning to travel down the GAS road (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), or worse yet, the double GAS syndrome (Gear Acquisition Syndrome and Guitar Acquisition Syndrome).

Thanks for all your help.

TANGENTIALLY:
Re: GAS: The mic & mic pre is where I'm at now. I do want better monitors but that's for another thread. I have a Mac G4 with ProTools, Digi001, RME ADI-8 PRO converters.

Guitar and bass gear is quite high end and that g.a.s. is pretty much done.

Back