Are Mic Cable Adapters OK?

Booda

Master of the Obvious
Would there be much signal loss or degradation using these XLR to 1/4" adapters compared to using XLR to 1/4" trs Cables?

I'm re-wiring my Rack (new Gear) and there will be times when switching between Pres, Comps and Converters would be pretty convenient popping one of these adapters on or off.

Thanks,
B.

Attachments

• X-3121-4pack.jpg
    X-3121-4pack.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 98
They're fine for going from XLR to 1/4" TRS. Where a lot of folks run into problems is useing these with mics that require phantom power. There's no phantom power on the 1/4" inputs.

They're fine for going from XLR to 1/4" TRS. Where a lot of folks run into problems is useing these with mics that require phantom power. There's no phantom power on the 1/4" inputs.

1/4" TRS versus XLR has nothing to do with phantom power - they are just connectors. However, I would be wary of wiring a patchbay so that you are running XLR from a mic to 1/4" TRS on the patchbay, which in turn goes to the input of a preamp, simply because of confusion down the road, where you might plug in a TRS cable from something other than a mic, kick in the preamp with phantom, and blow the source to pieces. Just the ole 2 cents.

Perhaps TRat simply means that plugging into a 1/4" input on something like a pre or a mixer won't give you phantom. That is true - the phantom would only be coming out the female XLR connector on the pre/mixer/etc. However, if you are trying to wire the inputs of a preamp to the 1/4" balanced connections of a patchbay, and in turn want to connect mics to the front, I would look into getting yourself a separate XLR-based patchbay.

I know VERY well that 1/4" vs XLR has NOTHING to do with phantom power. I was trying to say that there is NO phantom power to be had from a preamp or mixer from a 1/4" input, not that an adaptor wouldn't pass it. There has been no shortage of newbs asking why there LDC woun't work only to find that they're useing one of these adaptors.

I probably should have stated that I'm not using a Patch Bay... makes no difference I guess... Just wondered if an adapter would compromise my sound quality.

I just got another set of converters but they are XLR I/O rather than TRS. The RNC (TS) is the only real PITA. My set up stays pretty constant except switching between 3 different Comps on 2 channels.
My setup is...
PREs - (4)Sytek, (8) M-Audio Octane, (4) Soundcraft Mixer
Comps - ProVla 2ch., (2) RNC 1 for stereo, 1 for Mono, DBX 163x
Converters - (8 I/O) Echo Layla24, (8 I/O) Lucid 8824
The Lucid is new to the setup and w/ all the different I/O those adapters could make it a little easier to hook up now and make changes in the future. The only thing I change much is on CH.3-4 of the Sytek I might change the Comp from the VLA to either the RNC or DBX.

I plan to get a Sebatron or Great River ect... & at that point I'll probably get a Patch Bay.

Thanks for the Help!
B.

I know VERY well that 1/4" vs XLR has NOTHING to do with phantom power. I was trying to say that there is NO phantom power to be had from a preamp or mixer from a 1/4" input, not that an adaptor wouldn't pass it. There has been no shortage of newbs asking why there LDC woun't work only to find that they're useing one of these adaptors.

Oh, Im not pickin a fight or saying you were wrong - I believe I corrected myself on my interpretation of what you had said in the second paragraph of that post, but if not, though I would point out that I agree with you... I seem to recall at some point many years ago I made that very same mistake (condenser -> mix cable -> adapter -> TRS :p)

As for losing audio quality, if you use a decent connector with solid soldering, you shouldn't notice much of a difference, if any. However, if you chained together 47 of those things, you might notice some signal degredation :)

I have run into problems with cheap adapters actually losing some signal in terms of DB's of gain and sound quality. I was actually surprised by this.

Use Neutrik adapters by running an XLR cable into the adapter into a TRS 1/4 inch cable. The reason you do not want to use an adapter into an actual unit is because of stress on the inputs/outputs. Some of those are soldered on to the circuit board, better stuff has them hard wired and mounted on the chassis. But even then you are putting on a heavier end and stressing that part. The neutrik is actually a stereo locking female which is good because the cable will not pull out of the jack. you can get male and female XLR.

Do not use the one's that have the 1/4 inch male TRS sticking out, that can easily ruin the XLR socket on your unit again by stressing the area.

Good cables are $25 and up so the adapters are cost effective and more flexible.

It's OK if it's a few cables, but if it's a lot you have to make a patchbay yourself. I haven't seen too many of those types under $250, they are usually a custom job by companies like Whirlwind.

Parts express has the higher quality neutrik, it says stereo pin 2 hot not TRS but they are the same thing:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=092-024

Big has a point there - plugging bulky, heavy adapters into inputs on audio gear can stress the jack... it would make more sense to get some decent balanced mic cable and some jacks, and solder yourself up some "converter" cable - 1/4" TRS on one end, XLR on the other, etc etc.

Thanks guys. Yeah I'm also thinking it would be best to spend a few more $$$ & just have a few extra cables around. Like you say the stress on the Jacks for one and it's just one more connection that doesn't need to be there.

I think it's ridiculous the RNC is not balanced for being such a great unit.

Thanks again,
B.

Thanks guys. Yeah I'm also thinking it would be best to spend a few more $$$ & just have a few extra cables around. Like you say the stress on the Jacks for one and it's just one more connection that doesn't need to be there.

I think it's ridiculous the RNC is not balanced for being such a great unit.

Thanks again,
B.

I think it was designed with the intention of predominantly being an insert device, or at least that is my only reasoning for it - and as such would not require balanced jacks. However, I would imagine there is also a large group of people using it between their mic pre and the interface or recorder, where you would want to maintain a balanced connection,.

I used xlr to trs adaptors on 4 of my 6 tracks for recording drums for years because my mixer only had 2 xlr inputs. The signal was just fine but they are right about those being heavy. The ones I used were a lot better than that solid plug design, they had about 6 inches of cable between the xlr and trs jacks. I cant seem to find a picture of them but I believe they were made by Hosa.

Well, it is only going to tarnish where it is not connected. ;)

yeah that'swhat you would think but not true... ever had to burnish a patch bay that wasn't being "used" often???? and this is where also the myth of gold connectors comes in too... any connect where the metals are dissimilar will oxidize... it's electrolysis... the gold is only good if your gold on both mating surfaces... or are you quibbling with "tarnish"...

I purchased 8 XLRF-TRS and 8 XLRM-TRS adapter cables from this E-Bay Vendor. I think the parts were Neutrik (I'm at work, I'll look when I get home and edit this post). He provides a deal on shipping and you can just contact him directly rather than actually purchasing through e-bay. They work fine. As I recollect, they ran me about $5 each for 5 ft. cables. I'm using them on my analog I/O cables for my Aurora 8 (the Aurora cables only terminate in XLR).

http://cgi.ebay.com/XLRF-to-1-4-TRS...7478921QQihZ012QQcategoryZ23783QQcmdZViewItem

Edit for a gear check -- Yup, the XLRs are Neutrik.

Last edited:
I purchased 8 XLRF-TRS and 8 XLRM-TRS adapter cables from this E-Bay Vendor.

Thanks my Man! Exactly what I am looking for. Looks like good prices and decent cables too. I need about 16 cables and Mogami at $35 is just not going to happen.
B.

Back