Members average number of rack units and a list...

How many rack units do you have ?

Votes: 67 12.5%

Votes: 49 9.1%

Votes: 44 8.2%

Votes: 45 8.4%
  • 5-7

Votes: 128 23.8%
  • 8-10

Votes: 68 12.7%
  • 12-15

Votes: 33 6.1%
  • 16-20

Votes: 35 6.5%
  • 21-30

Votes: 25 4.7%
  • 31+

Votes: 43 8.0%

• Total voters

Stefan Elmblad

Just out of curiosity, I'm starting a similar thread to the one in the microphone forum.

I wonder how many rack units of recording gear everyone has.
1/2, 1/3, 1U, 2U etc all counts as one. It's the number, not the size.

Also, it would be interesting if you have the time to specify them... just so we get to know eachother better :)

I'll show you mine if you show me yours!Ok,in this case its tell.....

Behringer Ulatrafex Pro
Behringer Virtualizer Pro
Behringer Ultragain Pro
Behringer Composser Pro
Art Tube Channel
Art FXR
DOD G7(that one doesnt really get used)
Rolls EQ(yeah,it sucks)

kev

Huh. What should we count?

Rackmount studio effects obviously.

What about sound modules?

Rack mount stage equipment that'll never get used in the studio?

Mixers?

Stompboxes?

Preamps?

Broken stuff we might fix someday?

Dust bunnies over 1U in size???:p

OK I'll bite:

Averill racked Audix 35102 mic pre's w/ EQ (2)
Steinberg 8 I/O AD/DA Converter
Apogee AD 16
Lexicon PCM 91

That's it.
Some synth modules, a drum module, and one cheap amp.

Neve 3115 pre/eq x 1 (Phoenix Audio class A output stage)
Custom built micpres x 4
RME opto limiter (transformer coupled) x 1
Aphex Compellor x 1
RNC compressor x 3
Custom built stereo compressor x 1
Behringer MDX2100 compressor x 1
Behringer XR2000 gates x 2
Behringer Powerplay HA4000 headphone amplifier x 1
T.C. Electronic M-One XL
Sony JA3ES Minidisc recorder
Luxman K15 three head, dual capstan cassette deck
Layla 24/96

Don't use the Behringer MDX2100 compressor anymore.

Wish list... a Urei 1176LN and better AD/DA.

Oh and more Neves! ;)

-Behringer Tube Composer T1952
-M-Audio DMP-3
-FMR Audio RNC
-Boss SE-50

and within a couple of weeks:
-Sony V55M
-TL Audio Ivory 2 5051
-Joemeek C2 (or MC2)
-some sort of patchbay

and within a year or 3-5:
-Great River MP2-NV
-TC Electronics M3000
-Empirical Labs Distressor
-MindPrint DTC
-SPL Vitalizer MKII Tube
:cool: ;)

BTW, Pundit, can you give some info/opinions about your TC M-One XL? I'm especially curious how it would stack up against the Lexicon MPX500 or MPX550.

Speeddemon said:
...BTW, Pundit, can you give some info/opinions about your TC M-One XL? I'm especially curious how it would stack up against the Lexicon MPX500 or MPX550.

I've compared it to the MXP100 and MPX200 and there was NO comparison. M-ONE... hands down!! Okay so these are the low end Lexicons after all! Personally I think the cheaper Lexicons are a bit overated... still it's a matter of personal choice. Now as far as the MPX500 is concerned I have a bunch of MPX500 impulse files I use with Sonic Foundry's Acoustic Mirror, and in comparison I generally still prefer the M-One XL. Although within the PC environment I generally use The T.C. M3000 impulse files I also have. The only other verbs I have access to that I would say are an improvement, and of course this is still subjective, are the T.C. M3000 and Quantec Yardstick impulses.

I actually only bought the M-One as a monitering reverb, to replace my ancient Alesis Midiverb II (yuk!), and for some occassional live use. But I do like it. I may experiment with it and see if it's worth editing and saving some of the verbs as impulses to use in my PC. It has digital I/O so I can sample anything I like.

The other advantage with the M-One's dual engines is that you can assign them both for processing different verbs simultaneously. Quite a few of the lower end dual engine FX processors dedicate one engine to multifx ONLY and the other to the verbs.

Sure Lexicon stuff has had the 'name' for years, but I think T.C. has almost shaken them off that mantle. Look at the big end of town and see what's being used more and more by the big boys... T.C. M6000 etc.

I think the Lexicon stuff doesn't begin to get serious until the PCM91 etc.

I'd be surprised if you were disappointed with the M-One XL... especially for the dollars.

Cheers pundit.

Last edited:
Funny... I've found the exact opposite to be true... (for me!)

I've compared both the TC M-One and the MPX500 & MPX-1, and the M-One couldn't touch them........!

Subjective preference, I guess...

YMMV................!

Re: Funny... I've found the exact opposite to be true... (for me!)

Blue Bear Sound said:
I've compared both the TC M-One and the MPX500 & MPX-1, and the M-One couldn't touch them........!

YMMV................!
I haven't checked out the MPX-1...

... Subjective preference, I guess...

...DITTO!

Speed Demon rather than take our words for it, see if you can set up an instore demo for an hour or so. Bring in your fav mic and instrument and see for yourself.

OK, I have.....

A Behringer Ultramizer. It sucks, I never use it.

...and....

A Yamaha A3000. It's great, I use it all the time.

...and...

A Behringer Patchbay.

...and...

Another Behringer Patchbay

....and...

...nothing else. These are the only things I have with rackmounting ears on it. Now, if you had asked me what kind of outboard gears and effect processors I have, the answer would be quite different. :)

To follow on...
Originally posted by Speeddemon
...BTW, Pundit, can you give some info/opinions about your TC M-One XL? I'm especially curious how it would stack up against the Lexicon MPX500 or MPX550.

I tend to think that generally T.C. and Lexicon offer almost two kind of distinct flavors. This of course is a subjective generalisation but I guess I find the TC verbs, on average, kind of 'airy' without being harsh. I kind of like the way the T.C. stuff doesn't bury the source. It seems to leave the source up front and the verbs seem to become part of the sound rather than sounding 'tacked' on. For me that is the test. Does it sound like an effect... or part of the source.

I would say easily more than half of my rack stuff is sitting idle since I started mostly mixing in Sonar. It's scarry.
Wayne

OK, you guys will laugh at me though. From the top of the rack.
1. BBE sonic maximizer (from the four track days)
2. Alesis 3630 compressor gate (yes it sucks ass, I use it on my drum module)
3. Digitech studio 500 harmony processor (awesome trippy effects)
4. Lexicon MPX1 (my favorite)
5. ADC 64 point balanced p-bay (a chunk of gold)
6. Yamaha MU-50 module

That's all folks.

My mic list is even worse, I won't be going there.

Blue Bear, I was checking your site and saw you have an LA Audio EQ. What do you think of their gear as I was thinking of picking up one of their PS-10 preamps?

Regarding the Lexicon vs. TC thing I went with the TC M-One too. Great sounds, and the dual engine programming ability is a great. However, I am probably going to pick up the Lex 500 so I have some variety in reverb sounds.

Yeah, well what the hell.

From the top:

TASCAM DX-4D DBX Type 1 NR unit
TASCAM DX-4D DBX Type 1 NR unit
Alesis MidiVerb IV Multi-effects Processor
Alesis MidiVerb III Muti-effects Processor
DBX 262 Stereo/Dual Channel Compressor/Limiter

Soon-to-be bidding-on-now:

TASCAM PE-40 Four-band four-channel fully parametric EQ. I hope.

Soon-to-be-after-that:

TASCAM CD-RW700

Back