This may not be a huge shocker...

jonnyc

...but I discovered that I really do like my behri ada8000 over some of my preamps. Over the last few weeks I've noticed distortion and overcompression with my msh mics. I just thought maybe I got some duds or maybe the spl in my drumroom was just way too high. I ran the mics thru both, my maudio audio buddy, and my 002r pres and had similar results with both although noticeably less distortion with the 002r's. So out of sheer laziness(mic pres on the front) I hooked up my drum overheads thru the ada8000's and honestly wasn't expecting much difference. Holy shit there was a huge difference. Since the source was so loud I could keep the pre's gain at 1/4 and they were absolutely crytal clear, and the ridiculous compression was gone(????). This pre has done little more than talkback duties for 2 years, now it's my go to for overheads.

Sounds like it resolved your gain staging issue... Good chance the "compression" you mention was actually the Preamps clipping...

Sounds like it resolved your gain staging issue... Good chance the "compression" you mention was actually the Preamps clipping...

Yeah but my gainstaging is properly set, not to mention my 002r's are built in. I always kept the gain extremely low to mask the distortion a bit so I find it a little difficult to believe the pre's were clipping. It's not like this was the first time I had ever recorded anything. I've probably done over a hundred songs in 3+ years. I'm honestly wondering if there isn't a phantom power problem with the audiobuddy(maybe not enough). As I said the distortion was a lot less with the 002r. I don't know what the hell happened but I do know that I'm very pleasantly surprised at how nice the ada8000 worked as overhead pres. I did do a shootout with it a few years ago on guitars and it beat out my eureka but I still never gave it much use after that.

The ADA8000 is a very decent preamp for the price. It does sound pretty clean on drums and vocals. Distorted guitars could sound much better, I usually choose the MOTU pres for string instruments.

Which mics? The Audiobuddy has been noted as being low on phantom; some of the MSHs don't care, and some would get slightly annoyed (that is lose a little SPL handling, but it shouldn't be drastic). I don't know about the 002, but maybe the extra juice was just enough to get you a few dBs you needed . . .

Which mics? The Audiobuddy has been noted as being low on phantom; some of the MSHs don't care, and some would get slightly annoyed (that is lose a little SPL handling, but it shouldn't be drastic). I don't know about the 002, but maybe the extra juice was just enough to get you a few dBs you needed . . .

The cheapest ones, I really do think the phantom power has something to do with it. I keep reading more and more that the audio buddy has a problem feeding enough power to some condensors. All I know is I'm happy as a pig in shit now that they're going thru the ada8000. Very clear and detailed, great dynamics. Good work on the mics and sorry I doubted them in a few threads.

I wasn't trying to throw around acusations... just observations... no harm... no foul... no problem. My apologies

An underpowered mic may display the same symptoms of clipping... the output sags as the input crosses the gain threshold... or I should say the maximum supported gain by the supplied voltage...

I think you've got it...

Back