Masterlink Vs. Budget Converters....

Golden

Budget converters being Echo Audiofire 4, M-audio 2496.... M-Audio PCI cards etc....

I have read that the converters in the masterlink are not accurate.... True?

Nonetheless, anyone have any experience with the masterlink vs budget sound cards?

Where does the Masterlinks ADDA sit in comparison to budget converters/interfaces....

Thoughts???

hmmmm ..... I've had some studio guys rave about the limiter and some of the 'mastering' tools in the Masterlink and I've heard no problems with feeling it was 'inaccurate' with recordings I've done on mine.
But I've never heard anyone directly address the converters.
Be interested in the results.

if you do a search over at gearslutz, you will read an astonishing amount of conflicting opinions regarding the masterlink... it's ridiculous!

the masterlink is a solid piece of gear, but i wouldn't spend any money on one now...they were great for what they were at the time, but IMO have been outdated by today's technology

yeah 2nd Iron comment...the Masterlink was new stuff like 10years ago? A Alesis ADAT byproduct ...good product supposedly.

Wasn't it mainly for a "quickie simulated" mastering CD-R demo for the band to take home...like preset "mastering" effects.

yeah I know, it's an old monster... I just need something for capturing mixes... I'm been having problems with my PC... actually, it's my brand new PC..... Nothing but probs........

Are you just doing live shows?

I have a masterlink and find it handy for that sort of thing and giving a band a CD at the end. Its converters are nothing to write home about

yeah 2nd Iron comment...the Masterlink was new stuff like 10years ago? A Alesis ADAT byproduct ...good product supposedly.

Wasn't it mainly for a "quickie simulated" mastering CD-R demo for the band to take home...like preset "mastering" effects.
The effects aren't preset ..... you can adjust them quite a bit and I have had a couple of studio guys (Blue Bear being one) that said the limiter is excellent by almost any standards and they liked the compression too.
It's actually a pretty cool piece of gear and I'm thinking of getting a second one though I suppose I could just buy a 'puter and optimize it for that purpose.

it had some good posts from several credible sources for sure, and used in pro studios. I almost bought one, several times...:confused:

but exactly, with the onslaught of tech gear being crammed into the puter and standalones...it didn't win my $$$...I wound up with a 2488 for the same price and shortly after that started dabbling in the pc aka "puter" recording stuff...leaving the 2488 to gather dust.

i agree, there is something about an outboard unit that is nice. a computer can take a person down a road that many don't care to travel.

off subject I got a outboard channel strip just for some analog-hands on control......using a mouse for everything is often boring and sterile and lifeless as hell imo. maybe I'm just older, but the idea of music is being involved and turning knobs and playing with my equipment....;)

i agree, there is something about an outboard unit that is nice. a computer can take a person down a road that many don't care to travel.
Well ..... and at this point I just have so much of it ...... I have more stuff than most of the 'puter people have ...... what's the point of getting rid of it and replacing it all?
So I'm fairly locked into analog board/outboard hardware mode.

and the ROI....Return on Investment.

so back to converters...is a common converter in 2008 (Happy New Year btw)....a stellar super high end converter 8yrs ago, for example?

seems to be the case. 24bit-48khz is commonplace now, a few years ago it was "pro"...now its consumer level?

bit depth and sample rate dont tell ytou much about the converter quality. Junk then is still junk now. Some things have gotten cheaper to make better, but some things have gotten worse

Back