marilyn manson, rob zombie guitar sound

fabfour1257

i've listened to songs like "beautiful people" especially the beginning right after the drums , and wonder how they get such a clean hard sound on the guitar? i know a lot of it has to do with what ever effects are being used on the guitar, but i notice that there's never any noise in between chord changes i.e. white noise, fret squeaks etc. it's just a real, almost dry sound. are they using a gate or something like that also?

guitar also tracked direct line in not miced <- 90%

It was still in the days Trent touched a lot of their stuff and he practically direct lines everything- even Manson's self done albums are probably pretty much all direct.

But there's a slight chance I'm wrong on the direct, because they still had their guitarist Scott around for that record and he preferred micing an amp- even though he didn't actually record on that track. Though he was involved in the albums more notable tracks.

If they used Scott's guitar than it was either a:
Yamaha RGX 612s with a DiMarzio Tone Zone or Bill Lawrence L-500-XL
or
Jackson Dinky XL with a Bill Lawrence L-500-XL

thanks guys! i think i'll try a little bit from both suggestions. i've already done some recording with the guitar direct, and i still got a lot of noise in between chord changes and what not. so i think i'll try, still going direct, but double or maybe triple tracking with a lot of gate, and see what that gets me. thanks again!! gregg

There's an article from Mix from a few years back where Marilyn Manson is interviewed about the making of 'Mechanical Animals' (I think). He tells quite a bit about the recording chain. I seem to recall a few Neumann U47s being used. Do a search.

I tried finding the interview and didn't see it.
But also Mechanical Animals was when Manson tried getting away from Trent and the claim he is why Manson's albums are so good.

So, Manson could have tried different approaches Trent normally wouldn't to get further away from him.

The track sound in question here is The Beautiful People which was in the days of Trent again. Lots of layers, mostly direct, plug-ins go and protools.

If someone does find the article post it I'd like to check it out.

I just remembered reading an interview with MMs' guitarist and he claimed that there wasn't any gating on Beautiful People, that it was all in his right hand technique. The interview was in a guitar mag, don't remember which one, though.

Grinder,
You mean their bassist?

Scott didn't write or play the music on that track, their new guitarist Zim Zum didn't write any music for the album and he only "played" on one track for the album (which was from the future) and that wasn't it. Manson didn't play that track and neither did Trent.

And that's such a Jeordie riff.

There were only two guitarists present for the recording of that album, their original Scott (Daisy) and a former guitarist then dedicated bassist Jeordie (Twiggy)

---
Holywood was such a terrible album

Nosferous said:
Grinder,
You mean their bassist?

Scott didn't write or play the music on that track, their new guitarist Zim Zum didn't write any music for the album and he only "played" on one track for the album (which was from the future) and that wasn't it. Manson didn't play that track and neither did Trent.

And that's such a Jeordie riff.

There were only two guitarists present for the recording of that album, their original Scott (Daisy) and a former guitarist then dedicated bassist Jeordie (Twiggy)

---
Holywood was such a terrible album

The interview was with MM and whoever played the guitar on Beautiful People.

Interesting:

2. the beautiful people
[LYRICS: MANSON/MUSIC: RAMIREZ]
DESCENDING HORN GUITAR: SEAN BEAVAN

Though the interview you're referring to had to be Jeordie.

I thought I remember the track being strictly Manson/Ramirez.

and I forgot how much Nails members were on the album, Trent and Danny are all over the place and Sean is so much behind the scenes of Nails might as well consider him a member.

I don't know who it was and I don't really care. I was just bringing up some info that I thought was relavant, though it's probably bull shit anyway. If it's really important to you, I'll dig through my 300+ guitar mags and see if I can find it.

No, it's not really important to me.

It's no big deal, thought it was interesting...didn't know it was gonna be so upsetting...

/: :confused:

Back