Make up Gain

Nola

This is probably a dumb question, but do you always use make up gain?

e.g. my bass part is plenty loud even after I compress it, so do I need to use makeup gain for any reason?

Hey,
If the bass is loud enough that the scope of your fader covers your needs after compression then you don't really need to use makeup gain.

Not that likely but if your compressor is before another plugin which is input level dependent, like another compressor or a gate, you'd use the makeup gain to keep all the in and out levels where you need them.
Alternatively you could just adjust the threshold or input gain on that next plugin.

Thinking about it, you might also use makeup gain if you have pre-fader sends that you don't want to mess up.
If you just used the fader to compensate in that instance, your aux tracks would get a lesser signal because of the compression and your dry track would be louder because you've pushed the fader up.

So yeah...a few things to consider but generally, for me, the answer is no.

Cool thanks, Steen. I was wondering if I was missing something, because every youtube video I watch on how to use compression the guy always bumps the makeup gain, and when I do it I'm thinking, "why exactly am I doing this if the signal is already plenty loud?"....and I couldn't come up with a good answer!

Like Steen, I rarely use it when mixing studio stuff--there are enough other opportunities to play with the levels down the track--bumping the gain on the track fader, normalising, etc. etc. However, I will often use it when mixing live just to keep the fader in the nice linear part of its range.

I use if I'm starting to run out of fader travel on tracks with a lot of compression, vocals typically. Otherwise no.

I use if I'm starting to run out of fader travel on tracks with a lot of compression, vocals typically. Otherwise no.

same, usually only vocals. quite a bit actually. I think the first compressor usually has around 8db make up for me.

You guys get it totally covered before I even get movin.
Gotta start getting up earlier. :>)

Editing/automating clip gain ends up solving that problem for me.
+1 In fact I start with clip gain automation- while keeping the faders free to rough the various tracks in. So you're sett;e these fader position' questions before tou actually get into the real mixing.

+1 In fact I start with clip gain automation- while keeping the faders free to rough the various tracks in. So you're sett;e these fader position' questions before tou actually get into the real mixing.

I set my overall gain for a track early on, then I hit it with compression, then I edit/automate the clip gain with the compressor's gain reduction meter displayed. After that I'll automate the volume. "If needed" applies to all of these processes.

Back