Mackie Onyx 1640 or Soundcraft M12 or Allen & heath MixWizard...

Which should I buy?

• Total voters
just an option to throw out there - look into some older studio master boards...they are in your price range...i used one (a 16X16X2) for a little over a year and was really impressed. the past 15 months i've been using a ghost...i found the studio master is not only comparible, i actually prefer it...way deep lows...so much so that i bought a 28X4X2 for 400 bucks for my new set up.

look around - you can find em cheeeeeeeeeep...as far as a 'summing device' for computer mixes to add some analog - i'd think you couldn't do much better espeically for the money. :eek:

Mike

I'll Take The Onyx, Thank You Very Much

I was in the same dilemma when I was looking for a new board. Fortunately my local music store was kind enough to let me take a couple home for the weekend to audition them. I bought the Onyx; I love the new Preamps, EQ and the fact that I can bypass the EQ when needed. I use it for recording only along with a Tascam 2488. I have not yet tried the software, maybe someday. Good Luck

My only gripe is that you're paying for EQ's that you'll never use

true. a lot of people gripe about that, but i don't really care, because i'm not a big fan of eq'ing while tracking

that, and now there's a company in texas doing mods for $300 that'll re-route the firewire outs to be post-eq...either pre or post fader, whichever you choose

and i had been looking at the rack-mounted units as well, but i wanted something that would also afford me the flexibility to do live gigs as well...and this is where i think the onyx really makes the case for being 1 of the best deals on the market. shit, if i was only doing studio tracking, i would've ponied up a few more bucks for a couple of MOTU units and some outboard pres.

Any truth to the rumor that the Onyx firewire port is, *GASP*, hardwired pre-eq? Doesn't seem like it would be very useful if that's true.....

Sorry, I just read the post above that says it is true.....

Out of curiosity, what is the big benefit of being able to bypass the EQ. With todays electronics, leaving the EQ at its null point is virtually inaudible. I just don't see this as a big feature that would help to sway my decision over a budget console like a Mackie.

Even if I didn't want to track with EQ though, I think it is still really important that the option at least exists. If the EQ were switchable, now that would be an excellent option that feature wise wqould make the Mackie a great purchase. For recording a live show while you are simultaneously mixing it for FOH mains, the record out being pre-EQ is exactly what I wwould want. In the studio however, I would never purchase a mixer that was only pre-EQ to the direct outs. Even with a mod available, by the time you factor in the mod price, the mixer price, the Firewire card price and the shipping, time etc.... the Mackie is no longer that affordable for what you actually get in my opinion.

I don't know, the less junk I have to send my signal through, the better. Especially when we're talking opamps. It's probably not going to make a huge difference, but I still prefer my signal path to be as pure and clean as possible.

I can certainly understand that. For me though, I would rather have the option to use the EQ and let my signal run through the chain as long as it makes no real audible difference.

xstatic said:
I can certainly understand that. For me though, I would rather have the option to use the EQ and let my signal run through the chain as long as it makes no real audible difference.
FWIW - I have a Joemeek ThreeQ which has an EQ bypass. EVERY source I've tried it on sounds better with the EQ engaged but all filters set to zero. I know the Joemeek EQs are supposed to impart a certain sound, but it's interesting that it kinda 'sweetens' the sound even when there are no changes being dialled in!

Use as systems analyst approach

I have the Mackie Onyx mixer and I am very happy with it. But it fits nicely with my main activites, which involve live sound with occasional onsite recording. For that, I am going to eq to the room and really prefer a pre-eq send for tracking the performance. The only downside is that I'd like to have more than two tracks back on the firewire; if I want to run all 16 recorded tracks back through the mixer when tweaking I'll have to invest in another interface.

But so far it has kicked butt for my uses.

So how are you goung to use the mixer? Does a pre-eq firewire send seem like a good idea or is it disappointing? Depends on how you intend to use the device.

A systems analyst looks at the problem from a use and need perspective, then finds or specs software to meet the need, and only then does the discussion involve hardware. That might be a good approach here as all the mixers are nice units.

So its not about which one is better, but which one will meet your particular needs best.

Any truth to the rumor that the Onyx firewire port is, *GASP*, hardwired pre-eq? Doesn't seem like it would be very useful if that's true.....

yea, this true, but it can also work to one's advantage at times

for example, i'm going to be recording a live set for someone in a few weeks, and will probably end up having the house mix come off of the onyx...with the way the firewire sends are set up, i can send each individual channel to the hard drive(pre-eq), while simultaneously feeding the main mix to the hard drive(post-eq/fader) and the PA. there's also a separate knob that sets the output level for the firewire main mix output, so that it can be controlled separately from PA mix output level. this way i can go home and either use the live mix if i find it acceptable, or eq and mix the separate tracks if i find that the house mix doesn't translate well to a recording.

and as far as the price getting out of control when you add the mods and all that in...i picked up my 1640 brand new, with the f/w, for about $1400, and that place in texas is charging $300 for the mod - that's still only a little over $100/channel

I had a 1620 with the firewire. I wanted the post-eq over the firewire. I took mine back and got a Allen & Heath and never looked back. The A&H has been great, very clean. There has been nothing that I have not liked about the A&H.

Which model AH are we talking about here?

fenderlady said:
got a Allen & Heath and never looked back. The A&H has been great, very clean.

Fenderlady......which model AH are you using please. Are you using it with a computer to record with.........?

Choctaw

i own the 14:4:2 mix wizard. THe main concern for me was the channels had balenced direct outs. You can jumper the direct outs to be mic pre only, post eq, or and also post fader. So its good for either recording a live gig ignoring the faders and eq. And also good for just recording in the studio using the eq's while tracking

The mic pre's on the mix wizard are hands down the best out of Mackie and Soundcraft on the small consoles. You can also sweep the high and low mids on the eq!!!!!!

Forgetaboutit its worth the extra dough. Crest Audio makes a small console that is utter kick butt. Butt $$$$

The Allen and heath mix wizard can be had for ALOT less if you buy the one that says "Phonic" on it ;) Phonic made the mix wizard for allen and heath. Also the Phonic version is less than half the price (and the same board)

Is that true? More research is needed... but at first look it sounds like a crock of crap!

Last edited:
I personally use a modified Onyx 1640 all the time for recording here and some live recording. We started modifying these boards months ago to place the EQ pre or post fader.

War

I was skeptical about the Onyx 1640 at first because I don't like Mackie pre's. But let me tell you that these Onyx pre's are a whole different animal. I am very impressed. If you're looking for a colored sound then they might not do. But if you want transparent and quiet, they're pretty amazing for the cost of the board. They can be pushed surprisiningly far into their headroom without losing much audible sound quality, much like good, single channel rack pre's. Once again I was very surprised.

The converters are not as surprisingly good as the pre's but they are still pretty decent. I have no qualms about re-amping or sending a track out of the main to some outboard gear and back to lay down on a seperate track.

The issue with the firewire card having 18 ins but only 2 outs has not held me back as I mix in the box but I could see how it wouldn't be suitable for some people so that's a good warning to get out there. The other issue with the EQ being bypassed doesn't bother me because of the way I record. I am fussy with getting the tone I want beforehand with mic selection and placement so that very little EQ is needed during mix. If I find my self longing for some more of a particular frequency, it seems that mic adjustments produce a better sound than EQ during tracking. That's just my thing though (maybe because I've never owned really nice EQ). I didn't flinch when I heard about the pre EQ firewire sends, but that's another good thing to warn others about who might flinch. Look to spend another 300 or so on a modification if you want the post EQ firewire sends.

My second choice would be the A & H. But the Onyx is bang for the buck IMO.

Back