M-audio TAMPA

killthesoundboy

ok so b4 i started using the m-audo Tampa i was using a $50 behringer mixer that had a 48v phantom preamp. My vocals sounded good, but i knew they could be way better.

ok so i got the m-audio Tampa preamp/compressor home, set it up and started recording. For some reason my vocals sounded wide and just didn't sit right in the mix. I tryed a lot of different thing to fix it but no luck. Does any-one have any experience with this preamp? I'm thinking of taking it back and getting the "ART Pro Channel Microphone Preamp and Compressor (Model 215)" any thought? :confused:

Man, the Tampa is a lovely little unit. If you can't get a sound WAY better than through the berrie desk there must be something not quite right.

What mics are you using? Have you set up any acoustic material around the singing position? What Impedance setting are you using??

I used a Tampa for a few projects last summer and really liked the sound for gear that price region but everything else has gotta be good too. Chain is only as strong as the weakest link and all that.

killthesoundboy said:
ok so b4 i started using the m-audo Tampa i was using a $50 behringer mixer that had a 48v phantom preamp. My vocals sounded good, but i knew they could be way better.

ok so i got the m-audio Tampa preamp/compressor home, set it up and started recording. For some reason my vocals sounded wide and just didn't sit right in the mix. I tryed a lot of different thing to fix it but no luck. Does any-one have any experience with this preamp? I'm thinking of taking it back and getting the "ART Pro Channel Microphone Preamp and Compressor (Model 215)" any thought? :confused:
Maybe because it's so much better, it's showing you what you've got wrong elsewhere. I suggest absorption. Also what mic do you have? And what monitors?

killthesoundboy said:
on the tamp i have a few choices for recording sample rate, should i record at the highest possible smaple rate? :confused:

Are you using the S/PDIF output? The sample rate is selected for this output. If you're using the analog outs, turning that knob won't affect the sound.

I used to own a Tampa and really liked it. Maybe what you were hearing as far as "wide" was the effect the pre creates. It's supposed to kind of mimic tube harmonics. I found that experimenting with impedence changed the sound a bit, but never really used the compressor much. Have you played around with the comp or impedence settings?

You should think about your room your recording in as well. Any treatment? Maybe the pairing of that pre and your mic are picking up some reflections, etc. or imperfections in the room? Don't know what to tell you. I had luck with it and several others around here like the Tampa as well.

i LOVE my Tampa. it's a very "big" sounding pre. i've found that it helps create tracks that have that "larger than life" sound to it, which can definitely be useful on some things.

however, on other things, it can be too much. maybe that's what you're seeing on that vocal track. maybe the "largeness" of the sound is too much for the rest of the tracks in the mix.

this is why studios have more than one mic pre (not to mention mics)--not every mic and pre will work together for every source. i've got lots of mics and although one might work really well on my voice for one song, it might be the absolute wrong one for another song. the same goes for preamps.

as for the impedence knob, that was intended to mimic the load that some older consoles would present, and it's best seen with some dynamic mics--my RE38 excels with a 300ohm load. so do my shure 545's. for a mic like the 4040, i'd swing the other way and set it somewhere around 1600 or 2400.

have you read the owners manual? if not, go to the m-audio website and read the manual. it seems that most folks around here who've got a Tampa and complain about it "not sounding right" have not actually read the manual.

and yes, you need to read the manual--especially if you're trying to use the compressor and you've never used one like this before. :D

cheers,
wade

Hi,
The Tampa is definitley a good sounding pre, and it has some ability to sculp the sound. Do read the manual, and try running it as a straight pre first before engaging the compressor. I've been getting good results with this pre on vocals, but it may be that you want a more clinical sounding pre like the Grace 101.

I'm using the audio technica 4040, and i have the krk rp8 :) My impedance is set to 300.

I used the AT4040 into a TAMPA and have since gotten the ART Pro Channel. The latter is not a patch on the TAMPA in my opinion. I found the same problems as you have with the wide sound - simply bypassing the compressor and ensuring I was right up close to the mic eliminated this problem.

I used the AT4040 into a TAMPA and have since gotten the ART Pro Channel. The latter is not a patch on the TAMPA in my opinion. I found the same problems as you have with the wide sound - simply bypassing the compressor and ensuring I was right up close to the mic eliminated this problem.

killthesoundboy hasn't been here since April, but good advice nonetheless. It does boil down to how you're using everything else the chain - technique of singing in a mic, etc.

Back