M-Audio Profire 26/26

melodymaster85

I'm looking to purchase a M-Åudio Profire 26/26 and i read i can connect it to a powered mixer using the left and right outputs of the mixer. If i do that, does that give me the use of all 14 channels on the mixer including the 8 on the profire or is there more i need to do?

Yes and no. The good is that you will have all 14 channels available on the mixer, but you have to make darn sure that your mix on that mixer is right, because you won't be able to change that mix on the Profire. All you'll have is one stereo track recorded for the whole mixer.

So then i'm pretty much better off connecting devices through S/Pdif or optical to have control of any and all external inputs added on?

I suppose they are. I mean: They probably really are but the recording sessions that I did so far were in less than ideal rooms which has a bigger inpact on the sound than the preamps. The DI's are definitely pretty good. I'm primarily a bass player and recording my basses works very well when plugging them directly into the Profire. (Still dreaming of a Great River preamp though, but who isn't)

Yeah, I'm recording drums and just need to find the sweet spot in my room where they sound decent acoustically and then go from there.

Back