m audio 8 channel interface

daysdrowning

hey guys, im new, and hope this is in the right section of this forum. but i have been looking at the m audio 8 channel interface for pro tools. i found it and it comes with pro tools SE. my goal with this would be to be able to mic guitars, bass, and vocals as needed. but also to be able to mic a drum kit. just a standard 5 piece. roughly 7 mics. and when i record drums, have each mic show up in its own channel. that way if say the hats are too loud and the snare sounds a lil hollow. i can go to the hat channel and turn it town a touch, and i can attempt to beef up the snare without makin a drummer re-record the entire take. the issue i see is that i have read that pro tools SE only allows 2 channels simultaneously. meaning guitar bass and vox are covered at 2 mics a piece. but it wouldnt solve my drum problems at all. does anyone have and experience with the interface or pro tools SE that can maybe lend some advice??
thank you
nic

You are exactly right.
PT-SE will only allow two simultaneous inputs and two simultaneous outputs.

This leaves you with two main choices and one of them sucks. :p

1: Get a little mixer, mix the drums live (eq, volumes etc), then record the stereo output.
2: Try reaper or PT full version. PT is pretty costly so I'd really recommend a look at reaper before you pounce.

SE kinda looks like a token give away so people with basic need can get started, or so less knowledgeable people can think they have ProTools.
It's not really equipped for demanding recording sessions.

will the interface work with reaper that you know of?? i have reaper and use it currently. and use it with just a small practice amp via usb as a means to just get ideas down before the band can all get together and work them out. but we now are lookin to record the full band not just scratch tracks. and i need a real interface to do that. (not goin for professional quality, just lookin to get something out there that we wont be ashamed off) and i am kinda use to workin in reaper, so if that interface will allow me to get my 6 to 7 mics goin at once it would be a life saver.
thanks.

yes it is the ultra 8r that i was talking about. sorry i wasnt real specific. and thank you for that link. saved me lots of money from buyin a full version of pro tools. and lots of time beings i am familiar with reaper and would have to completely learn my way around pro tools.

No worries. I'm not sure they have any other 8 channel interfaces.
Learning PT now would just take valuable time away from enjoying music. ;)

Best of luck.

Back