Lucid or Benchmark or...?

Booda

Master of the Obvious
I want to improve my AD/DA... on a budget :D I have 16 channels, a Echo Layla24 w/ a M-Audio Octane via ADAT.
I'm thinking for $500 - $700 I could...
1. Get a Benchmark DAC-1 or
2. Get a used Lucid ada8824

My thoughts are the Benchmark would run as my Master clock (Right?) and would probably improve my AD as well as give me Great DA. Actually I'm not sure about all 3 Units being able to run at the same time. (Layla24, Octane, DAC-1) ? But if they can, One would have to be the Main Clock.?.

Then there's picking up a used Lucid 8824 which I'm now thinking would be my best option, even though it limits me to 48 kHz. I'd run my best Pres (Sytek at the moment) going to the Lucid and the Octane Pres going to the Layla24. I think the the Lucid's Clock would also improve the Layla24 and the Lucid converters would give me Much better sound quality.
Am I thinking correctly or tell me your thoughts. Please.

For Double the cost ($1500) I had been thinking of getting a Lynx2 w/ ADAT card and keep using the Octane... or possibly get a RME FF800. But for $500 - $700 I'm thinking the Lucid would be a good choice?

Thanks,
B.

I have a Lucid ADA 8824. It's a very good ADA unit. It isn't quite as nice as my Mytek, though, but it's still excellent, and a huge improvement over the Layla.

It only does 48k, hope you realize that. That's what I worik at so, that doesn't bother me.

Yes, you would need a main clock. You could use the Lucid. I use an external clock.

FWIW, where would you get the lucid for that price ($500 - $700)? I wouldn't sell mine for anywhere near that price. less that $1200. Are we talking about the same unit? If you can get one at that price, that should be a no-brainer.

Someone over on GS is selling a FF800 for $1000. Seems like that would be a nice option.

The Lucid converters are pretty underrated and can be found used for pretty good prices. The Benchmark you are referring to will not be able to clock your other items because it is a D to A only. It has no way of sending a clock reference.

The Lucid converters are pretty underrated and can be found used for pretty good prices. The Benchmark you are referring to will not be able to clock your other items because it is a D to A only. It has no way of sending a clock reference.

What's a 'good price' for a ADA 8824?

Thanks so much for all your input! & Xstatic for clearing up my thoughts on the Benchmark. Fraserhutch I PM'd you too.

Even though it's older gear I think the Lucid will really improve my current setup as Fraserhutch has said. With all the debate of recording 48kHz or 96kHz... From what I have found w/ my recordings on Budget converters (Aardvark and Echo) is that 96 is more detailed and sounds noticeably better... especially on acoustic instruments. BUT I have read that with higher end converters you get the same results at 48kHz and 96kHz is really not necessary if your final product is a 16/44.1 CD. So I'm thinking I should give the Lucid a shot and see if it does what I'm hoping for.

The Fireface still looks good and other suggestions...?

Fraserhutch- I've seen a few in the past few months around $800 + or -. That's another reason 1/2 of me wants it and the other 1/2 is unsure. It doesn't seem like a good investment if the price just keeps falling and it's no longer supported by Lucid. (that's the way it goes w/ PC related gear I suppose) :(

Thanks again for the help Everyone,
B.

I'd grab another at $800 if I could find that deal.

The Lucid at 48khz sounds better than most mid-level converters at 96 or 192, IMHO.

Back