Looking for budget pre amp advice

liberty610

Hi everyone.

I currently have a line 6 ux8 audio interface. The 8 xlr inputs have 60+dB on them. I have been doing some research and I am learning that a preamp still might be beneficial to me.

I'm on a budget for my home studio, but I am currently looking for a rack mountable preamp that might help my microphone recordings.

I currently have an MXL V63m condenser mic which is a part of their 900 series studio microphones. I was wondering if this pre amp would help the sound of this mic through my line 6 ux8.

ART Voice Channel | Sweetwater.com

like I said, I would like it to be rack-mountable like this one. I cannot go much higher in price, and I'm just trying to get a better tinge it of my mic.

Thanks in advance for any help!

If your interface is giving you a good clean signal then you would be better off buying more microphones instead.

If your interface is giving you a good clean signal then you would be better off buying more microphones instead.
+1 to this ^^^^

You could really get a much nicer microphone than the MXL for less than the cost of the ART unit. You can apply compression and EQ in the DAW and get a much better sound with a mic upgrade.

Thanks guys. I have decided to do just that. I am still learning with this recording stuff, and I always thought my stuff sounded pretty good for what I had. So I am skipping the Art unit.

A couple years ago, I had a Shure SM7B mic. I decided to sell it because I didn't think I was getting out of it what I could without a pre-amp. Knowing a bit more now then I did then, I learned that I was doing okay with the mic in my interface, but also found a small phantom powered pre-amp that can help push more gain out of it. The CL1 Cloud Cloud Microphones Cloudlifter CL-1 | Sweetwater.com

Several reviews state the pre-amp is solid, especially with the Shure SM57. So I think I am going to go that route....

Good choice?

I can also recommend the cloudlifter and a dynamic mic, especially the sm7b or RE20, no need for fancy preamps unless you can afford it and REALLY want a certain sound only.

Awesome BT. Thanks for the reply.

I checked out your sound cloud files. Did you record these yourself? They sound amazing!

Wow dude! these sound super clean and amazing1 What setup doe you have if you don't mind me asking? Keep up the great work!

We tried an Art preamp and though some like it we found it was dirty and cloudy on the mic we were using. I think it was a Rode NT2A.

Back