Long cables...

35chevy

I have a m-audio profire 2626 interface. I am looking to add another 2626 to gain enough inputs so that I can stop plugging and unplugging cables every time I get ready to record another instument. I will be hooking the two 2626's together using the digital I/O toslink connections. My question is this... My drums are 25 feet from my interface currently. I am running long mic cables connected together to get the signal from the drum mics to the interface, and it is a mess of wiring. So, I could buy a 25' xlr snake to clean up the mess, or, I could place the second interface in a rack near the drums and use a 25' toslink cable to connect the two interfaces together. One toslink cable would be a lot cheaper than a xlr snake, and a much smaller cable to deal with. But, is there a disadvantage to running a long digital cable to connect the two interfaces compared to running a snake?

Last edited:
Somebody answer my question already:mad:

HAHA...anyway seriously though I'm trying to make up my mind here...would you choose a 25 foot long optical cable or a 25 foot snake? Which would carry the signal best? LOL I might just buy them both.

I think that 25 feet may exceed the reliable length for Toslink?

If the snake is well made, you should not experience signal degradation.

Well, think of it this way...if you wanted to add some outboard processing/FX...would you bring all those pieces of gear near your drums too....or would you leave them in the rack, and just run mic cables back to the pres and other gear? :)

If you have a mess of mic wires, then clean it up....run them neater...or get the snake if you think it's better using it instead of individual cables, but with a snake, you will have to still break out individual mic cables.
Drop the cables on the floor, and then along the wall/perimeter, and to your pres.....that's the way everyone else does it.
If you are using the exact same mic setup every time, then you can run the cables a little more permanently and make them even neater.

Thanks guys. I guess I've decided to go with a snake. I'm going run short cables from the mics to the snake and run the snake around the perimeter of the room to the interface. I have three cables linked together now going to each mic and I'm too OCD for that junk LOL. Plus I stole them out of my stuff I carry for live shows and I need to put them back LOL.

Oh yea I stole the somebody answer my question already :mad: part from one uv dem dat_nigga threads I was reading last night LOL. :facepalm: I love this place LOL.

Oh yea I stole the somebody answer my question already :mad: part from one uv dem dat_nigga threads I was reading last night LOL. :facepalm: I love this place LOL.

Yeah, I figured that! But I can give you some negative rep if you want? :D

Also, when you get the second interface, remember that you need to sync the clocks if you intend to run both interfaces at once.

Back