Live rig setup

battleminnow

What's this button do?
I am a bit confused. I understand the basics of a two speaker system and an independent monitor system, and I understand, after looking at subs, a little more about crossovers. But help me out with this: What if I want four subs and four mains set up? How do you get sound to each amp from a main output? Are there crossovers that support multiple subs and multiple mains or is there something else out there I need inline? Or maybe it just comes down to using a different board?

Just because someone will ask:
I am running two JBL dual 15" and horn loaded mains
Crown Power Tech amp
Behringer UB-2442 mixer
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
DBX 266xl compressor
Samson S700 monitor amp
Carvin dual 10" w/redeye tweeter monitors

This is a mixture of my old system w/some new gear. What do you think is the best way to run the signal chain?

Thanks,
Pete

Essentially, you run your main out to a crossover which splits the signal. There are variations, but we'll stick with "low" "mid" and "high" for fun.

The outputs of the crossover goes to the amps (again, low, mid, high) and then to the actual loudspeakers (low, mid high).

To run more of anything, you simply split the crossover out to the amps driving the speakers in question. Some amps will have "thru" connections at the input stage so you can just daisy-chain them together.

IN THEORY - Depending on the cabinet impedance vs. amp impedance, you could daisy chain 2 subs together X 2 outputs on an amp = 4 subs if you don't want to mess with bridging. Same with the mains. MAKE SURE that you know what the impedance is when daisy chained. If the measurement is too low, you're going to roast some amps.

I'm sure someone will chime in with more detailed information...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

fldrummer said:

Thanks fldrummer,

I guess I should clarify a little more. I am familiar with impedance, etc., I am in home theater sales. What I don't know is if there is a way to connect more speakers without dropping the impedance or "daisy chaining." One of my amps does have a pass through so my existing system is fine, but I am just looking for future reference. I didn't know if there was a crossover or some sort of connection that split the signal from the two mains to more outs.

If anyone needs some basics/intermediate info on principles of electronic sound (ohm load, impedance, power vs signal) or just needs a refresher, this is a really great link.

Pete

Back