Lexicon MX400 any good?

D

dintymoore

Has anybody tried one of these? They are cheap, $300 or less on eBay:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...245508&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=32650921

I liked the Pantheon reverb that came with the Lexicon Omega I helped a friend set up and was wondering if the MX400 sounds good. It's only 48KHz, but to me what's more important is if it sounds like a Lexicon reverb or not. :)

Years ago I used a Lexicon Alex, and I know it was an econo model but they never should have put the Lexicon name on it, it was terrible. So that's why I was wondering if the MX400 is good or not.

They make a MX400XL that has balanced XLR connections.

Well, that all depends on what your idea of "good" is. It won't sound as rich and lush as a Kurzweil. Of course, you are talking about a low budget processor here. It will probably sound similar to all other low budget processors on the market. They are all getting better as processor chip technology improves. (Not much help, I know.)

Maybe you can audition one at a music store before you buy and A/B it against a few others. I've had sales staff set up a test mic, mixer, processor, and headphones right there in the store so I could listen while I tried all of the settings.

Last edited:
I've got an MX400--and I like it a lot; as such, I use it a lot. But it's all so subjective, I'm not sure my opinion can possibly help you. See, I don't have any experience with other Lexicon verbs (or their other FX) so I can't make that comparison.

The only judgements I can make are 1) do I feel like I got my money's worth? Yep. I have no regrets. 2) Is it as good as others in it's class? It's dumb that I can even answer that--what's a guy doing buying more than one rackmount FX in the low-mid category? It's a sickness. What can I say?

Anyway--it's as good as my TC in the same price range, and better than a slightly more expensive, but older, Digitech MultiFX.

My $.02

Has anybody tried one of these? They are cheap, $300 or less on eBay:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...245508&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=32650921

I liked the Pantheon reverb that came with the Lexicon Omega I helped a friend set up and was wondering if the MX400 sounds good. It's only 48KHz, but to me what's more important is if it sounds like a Lexicon reverb or not. :)

Years ago I used a Lexicon Alex, and I know it was an econo model but they never should have put the Lexicon name on it, it was terrible. So that's why I was wondering if the MX400 is good or not.

They make a MX400XL that has balanced XLR connections.

I have an MX400 and it is very useable. Lexicon (IMO) is the leader in all things reverb and has been for decades. You'd be hard pressed to find any pro studio that doesn't have a 480 in their rack. Granted we are talking about a $300 reverb (MX400) unit. Are there units out there that are more lush sounding, sure; lexicon has many better sounding reverbs also. Is the MX400 worth the money? IMO/E yes.

If you truly want the best sounding reverb(s) then take a look at the Lexicon PCM plug-in series. However, hold your breath when you see the pice tag because those plug-in are running around $1,400 :eek:. Albeit you will never need/find better sounding reverbs anywhere.

Back