A lesson I heard about buying gear

I agree with much of what was previously stated about being able to get great resultsfrom budget gear, but I would rather learn to get better results using highend gear. So, what it really comes down to is, what can you afford and what do you want to spend your money on?

It ain't the gear it is the ear. The performance is everything. A good engineer can use any gear and turn out a world class grammy winning performance.

I love it. If any of this were really true, great engineers would be using cheap equipment and crappy pasted tigether Pro tools bands would be history.

In the real world:
The most expensive equipment (and lots of it) is the ticket to making a hit record these days. The "performance" is like 8 bars long, pasted together to 4 minutes with replacement drum hits, guitar licks and time aligned, compressed, doubled and mixed with every available plug-in including Autotune. Then the mastering flattens any single sample to approx 0 db (+/- 0) and pressed to a CD. Headroom is like 1 db with the blistering average of 0db. This is today's recording. Tape went away because it was too much to ask any teenage hack to play more than 8 bars without going out of sync, out of tune or needing a cigarette or a drink or both. :D

Jeezus, why do we even bother with music today?

I'm mainly using a portastudio 424 here at home, and it has definitely helped me with my mic techniques, and trying to get the best sound possible going to tape. Although, being at school for audio, with so much awesome gear really makes me want great stuff at home too!

In the real world:
The most expensive equipment (and lots of it) is the ticket to making a hit record these days. The "performance" is like 8 bars long, pasted together to 4 minutes with replacement drum hits, guitar licks and time aligned, compressed, doubled and mixed with every available plug-in including Autotune. Then the mastering flattens any single sample to approx 0 db (+/- 0) and pressed to a CD. Headroom is like 1 db with the blistering average of 0db. This is today's recording. Tape went away because it was too much to ask any teenage hack to play more than 8 bars without going out of sync, out of tune or needing a cigarette or a drink or both. :D

Jeezus, why do we even bother with music today?

Come on, man! That may be true for Made in USA PoP Music, but there´s plenty of artists recording amazing hit albums without that formula...

Life is good my friend! :D

Back