Langevin DVC vs. 2xGreat River for Acoustic Guitar Mics

rurounikitsune

Hi there. Been searching for a while now but can't decide so please help me out here.

What would you pick between a Langevin DVC or two Great River ME-1NV preamps, for micing acoustic guitar (Taylor, bright but full) with 2 KM184's?

Looking for a modern, clean sound, wide sound field, very encompassing for slower acoustic ballads, and layerable for multiple parts.

Assume no other outboard processing is allowed. Mics -> GR/Langevin -> DAW/Interface.

Other ideas would be fine. Basically what I am wondering is whether the improved quality of the Great River preamps is worth giving up the outboard compression and limiting functions of the Langevin. I can only afford one stereo setup and it needs to work really well on acoustic guitar. It will also be doing double duty on drum overheads, piano, and whatever else I feel like recording in stereo.

If you don't like the KM184's then chime in with some other SDC's.

Thanks all.

Great River FTW

Hi there. Been searching for a while now but can't decide so please help me out here.

What would you pick between a Langevin DVC or two Great River ME-1NV preamps, for micing acoustic guitar (Taylor, bright but full) with 2 KM184's?

Looking for a modern, clean sound, wide sound field, very encompassing for slower acoustic ballads, and layerable for multiple parts.

Assume no other outboard processing is allowed. Mics -> GR/Langevin -> DAW/Interface.

Other ideas would be fine. Basically what I am wondering is whether the improved quality of the Great River preamps is worth giving up the outboard compression and limiting functions of the Langevin. I can only afford one stereo setup and it needs to work really well on acoustic guitar. It will also be doing double duty on drum overheads, piano, and whatever else I feel like recording in stereo.

If you don't like the KM184's then chime in with some other SDC's.

Thanks all.

I don't own a DVC, but I do own two channels of GR, and it's by far my favorite preamp. Question: Why two 1-channel pres instead of a stereo pre?

I don't own a DVC, but I do own two channels of GR, and it's by far my favorite preamp. Question: Why two 1-channel pres instead of a stereo pre?

On eBay I can score two single channels cheaper than I can find one stereo. Either will work. Whichever is cheaper when I pull the trigger on this purchase. It doesn't matter to me.

I'm also thinking about a couple of API pre's. Just not sure what people are using on acoustic guitars. The Great River stuff seems to have a lot of fans around here so that's what I've been leaning toward.

I don't have either of those models...but I've had a DVC on my mind for a loooooong time. I have several nice outboard pres, and everytime I considered adding a DVC, I ended up spending mony on an amp or guitar or whatnot. :D

While there's nothing bad to be said about the GR pres...with the DVC you get more than just two pre channels.
The built in ELOP limiter circuit is not shabby :cool: (and can be used on it's own)...plus, you also get a couple of EQ filters for the pres...not to mention, it's a full rack unit and looks damn killer IMO.

Now I'm going to once again start looking for a DVC.... :)

I don't have either of those models...but I've had a DVC on my mind for a loooooong time. I have several nice outboard pres, and everytime I considered adding a DVC, I ended up spending mony on an amp or guitar or whatnot. :D

While there's nothing bad to be said about the GR pres...with the DVC you get more than just two pre channels.
The built in ELOP limiter circuit is not shabby :cool: (and can be used on it's own)...plus, you also get a couple of EQ filters for the pres...not to mention, it's a full rack unit and looks damn killer IMO.

Now I'm going to once again start looking for a DVC.... :)

I know it! That's what I'm really trying to figure out. Do the GR pres sound so much better than Langevin that it's worth going without the EQ and limiter?

According to the tape-op shoot out in the augest issue the AT4041's were rated just as good as the Neumanns...My cousin bought the GR MP2NV and its pretty damn good.
Another mic with good reccomendations on acoustic guitar is the Shure KSM32 which is also suitable for vocals.

OK, I have recently come into possession of a pair of stereo matched Dragonflies. Anyone have a pre recommendation for these for acoustic guitar? Does anyone here record acoustic guitar in stereo and have pres they would recommend? I want extreme clarity of sound, a detailed high end but not raspy or jangly or anything that needs to cut through a mix. Just expansive, layered, full, filling the soundscape, with a nice hole for vox to cut through.

experience with mic placement, way more important and less expensive!
And correct mic placement is severely compromised by a crappy recording environment...

There's only one best place to put a mic in a bad room... as close to the source as possible. Kind of limits your options...

true, I guess I missed the 'bad room' part. But in a bad room -if that's you're only option- it's even more important to put the mic in the right place. i just think maybe the sound he's after is more in the guitar/room/mic placement than in the pre.

had
neumann 184's
still have oktava mk012 (russian with all the caps}

Yep, I'm with these guys.

What preamp are you using now?

I have a pair of Gefell M300's (real Neumans), and they are FANTASTIC. I've had guitar players stop playing because they can't believe how great their guitar sounds during recording.

There are literally dozens of mic pres that can give you fabulous sounding acoustic guitar tracks, including the two you are considering. Don't over think this. Just get one and start recording. Buzz, Forssell, LaChapell, Gordon, Shadow Hills, Juggernaut, Great River, Langevin, GML, Avedis, Hardy, Daking, BAE, Neve, API, DAV, and on and on... They all will get you there. The best thing to do is find some way to listen to a few and decide for YOU, which one you like the best. If you can't do that, just get the one that for some reason stands out in the reviews you've read and press the record button. Like mentioned before, many other factors such as room, mic selection and placement will have more effect on your sound than which one of these pres you are using.

If you are looking for good acou guit preamps also consider the John Hardy M1 and 2x the Speck Mic Pre 5.0. In listening tests, these have been two of my favorites--both around $1,600 for 2 channels.

Don't over think this. Just get one and start recording.

That right there is some of the best advice you'll find on an internet forum.

Though ironically, if that was the sort of advice regularly dispensed on internet forums, internet forums would cease to exist!

Yes, it is wonderful advice. And if I had the $2k right now to drop on pre's I would do it. However I have to wait a few months for that ship to come in. So I thought I'd get some advice and do some research before committing the $$$.

I have looked at a lot of different options since starting this post and I really am leaning toward a non-channel-strip solution even though it's more expensive. Actually I've been considering a rackmounted 10x 500 series box with a couple GR pre's, a stereo P3500, and some Speck EQ. Still hoping I can find some of this stuff used, though.

I even briefly considered making my own pre's. I have a friend who is an electrical engineer...

Back