KRK Rokit 8 G2 Monitors

chrisharris

King of Bling
I just wanted to post a quick review in case anybody is considering these monitors or searches for them on here.

I picked up a pair of "B Stock" KRK Rokit 8's (2nd Generation) for $149 each on musiciansfriend. I made the cardinal sin of not listening to monitors before purchasing them, because honestly, if I go in to a store and demo speakers, I'm probably going to walk out with the most hyped speaks in the store, LOL!!!

They're active monitors, and they're ugly as hell with these big huge yellow cones that make me feel like I'm mixing with Playskool's First Monitors. :D

However, they appear to be built like tanks (they have to weigh over 30 lbs each), they have great little iso pads on the bottom, and they have impressed me a great deal. I don't mix at 125 debibals or anything, but I think I could with these.

I'm no audiophile, but I have been recording for a long time, and I've listened to a lot of mixes on a lot of monitors. I'm ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE there are 200 other monitors out there that people will say crush these, and I'm sure there are, I guess, but for less than $500, I can just about promise you that these monitors will not be the fault of any of your mixes. I admittedly got them BECAUSE I could get them for $300, but I think it would have been a pretty smart purchase at full price.

Lows are tight, not hyped. The 8" speaker is enough for me not to have a sub.
Highs MAY be a little hyped, honestly, but there's a db rolloff switch on the back, and it may be my (untreated) room.
Mids are just extremely flat...in a good way.

Anyway, there's the impression after about a month and a few mixes. Good tracks to ya'.

Back