Just got POD XT Live

markustg

Hi all,

I am getting back into playing/writing music and to add new sounds and jump start some creativeity I got a POD XT Live with all the add on model packs (used and it works fine). So, I have been working with it about a month and so far so good, but the one thing I knew going in, you have to learn what this box has and how to edit it to get the most out.

I am looking for a good user group (the line 6 groups are kinda sparse) for POD's. I want to dig deep into this to get the most out. Please let me know if you know of one.

PS, One of the best ways to get interesting tones is to search the Line 6 site where people post them. You can download other peoples custom tones fast and free, keep em or make em your own with tweeks. This is HUGE. I got a lot of really well done tones/sound ideas from this so far.

So you have one but don't like it, or just have not gotten "in" to it?

I think that he means they are fun toys to goof around with but they produce very 1 dimensional and unsatisfying tones when compared to a good tube amp.

I think the Pod XTL Fender Twin and Deluxe Reverb amp models are very good, with some tweaking of the presets. Also the Hiwatt model is very convincing. If you play around with the cabinet models (for example, use a 4 X 12 cab model with one of the small amp models) you can beef up those amps a little bit.

The AIR feature lets you add a little room ambience so that your signal isn't so dry.

On the downside, when you have the full complement of stompbox models running on any particular patch, the Pod produces some very nonrealistic note decay characteristics, and the Pod does not respond even remotely realistically to picking dynamics or rolling off the guitar volume.

I think the unit works best as a studio direct box. Running it into a power amp (Randall RT2/50) and 2 X 12 cab, it sounds a bit strident. I'd use it as a backup for live work but never as a first choice.

I've also experimented with it as a stompbox modeler only, by disabling the amp models and running it into the front end of an amp. It works OK but does kill a bit of the "glassiness" of the guitar tone. If you are into lots of effects this probably doesn't matter but if a lot of your work is FX-free you'll likely want another solution.

The only POD forum I've had any experience with is the one on the Line 6 web site. As you said, there is a wealth of custom presets available. You might actually learn more about the unit if you did as much experimentation as possible on your own.

Mainly, though, it's a great practice rig. I run it through my powered studio monitors when I'm practicing, and using it saves the tubes in my "real" amps.

Back