just got into serious recording and need help to get rid of "booming" vocals

breakin' atoms

just got into serious recording and need help to get rid of "booming" vocals

i've been recording for about two years just doing things with acidpro, my turntables, and sampler, and i want to know what type of equipment i could use to get rid of (1) overly bassy/booming vocals (2) the annoying low frequency hum from my sampler. I've been told a compressor would help me, but i'm not sure what i would need....

You need EQ, not a compressor. If you have proximity effect on your vocal mic, roll off low frequency stuff below 75hz or so. If you have a low freq hum from a piece of equipment, it's very possible you have a ground loop. You want to address the cause on that and not the symptom.

A low cut filter at about 100 to 200hz or a better mic, not a compressor.
In a pinch try just getting a little further from the mic and turn the preamp gain up a bit to compensate.

Doing this, recently, helped me with the same problem: I hung a duvet over the door, then stood between it and the mic to do vocals - took out a lot of unwanted bass and boxiness. I got the idea from Sound on Sound.

<smirk> He said "duvet"!

Breakin Atoms: Most of your post throws red flags up to low pass issues. Take a peek at your sound settings first off and see if you can adjust the low frequency there. I wonder if you are using a mixer, an old stereo receiver/amp, or what other means to get your signal into the PC. Shitty connections on old cables can be thwarting you as well. Un-shielded cables could be an issue here too.

Back