JoeMeek VC1Q

....v 1.03. Love to run my kick into when tracking but it's been giving me a fit. The volume is pulsing, or swelling. I checked all the cabling, mixer, etc. I plugged my bass into it and the same thing is happening. The problem is in the Meek, so I'm not looking to troubleshoot this. It's happening when the signal is routed through compressor AND when the compressor is bypassed. Same with the EQ.

Any idea why it's doing this? Something that I can repair or replace?

Here's what the .wav looks like. I am not a dynamic drummer. I kick the shit out of my bass drum at all times. It's the Meek. Seriously.

Attachments

• meekwave.jpg
    meekwave.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 80
it's an older unit. I have not tried cleaning the pots but they are getting scratchy.

Might be worth a try. Especially if you're noticing them getting scratchy. What you describe sounds similar to what happens to...well...pretty much everything audio related I ever bought that's more than 10 years old.

Possible also that you might have a dry joint or something on an input port.

Have you tried turning down or off the output gain and or the meekerlizer EQ??? And use the comp only

I checked it out thoroughly last night. It's the compressor portion that's the problem.
Do the symptoms directly correlate to settings on the compressor section... say if you increase the ratio, does the pumping get worse? Or stay the same?

Do the symptoms directly correlate to settings on the compressor section... say if you increase the ratio, does the pumping get worse? Or stay the same?

I haven't changed the settings from what I usually use, but I just looked at the compression dial and it was up higher than normal. I wonder if it got moved on accident. I had my cousin's kid in here playing the drums last weekend.

I don't think it's that. The Slope is set low, attack is at fully anticlock, release is in the middle. Everything looks normal. Man, if it's pumping because of that..... :o :D

It doesn't SOUND like that's the problem. I'll check it out in a bit.

EZ,

Contact PMI/Alan Hyatt.

:cool:

I have in the past and he offered to upgrade it to newer and 'better' model for a nominal fee. I don't have a nominal fee, and frankly, I like the preamp in this thing. It's an older model before they changed it.

I haven't changed the settings from what I usually use, but I just looked at the compression dial and it was up higher than normal. I wonder if it got moved on accident. I had my cousin's kid in here playing the drums last weekend.

I don't think it's that. The Slope is set low, attack is at fully anticlock, release is in the middle. Everything looks normal. Man, if it's pumping because of that..... :o :D

It doesn't SOUND like that's the problem. I'll check it out in a bit.
I'm not saying the actual settings are the problem, but you if you can dial back the ratio and the pumping stops you've definitely isolated the compressor. You mentioned in your first post that it happens when the comp is bypassed, how did you later determine that the compressor was the issue? It doesn't add up to me... I must be missing something

I'm not saying the actual settings are the problem, but you if you can dial back the ratio and the pumping stops you've definitely isolated the compressor.

If I dial the ratio back and the pumping stops, it definitely would be the actual settings that was the problem.

You mentioned in your first post that it happens when the comp is bypassed, how did you later determine that the compressor was the issue?

I was wrong in my earlier post. I thought I checked. I was mistaken.

I just tracked some drums with the compression turned way down and the slope at minimal. Got to head out for a bit. I'll check it out later. And like I said:

Man, if it's pumping because of that..... :o

i had that unit. and its not a set and forget one comp does all box.

it was very cool in a challenging way, it's a great box for people who like to tweak and get settings that are unique too.

but when it wasn't set right it got all kinds of wierd too! very sensitive, imo.

i doubt there's anything wrong with it.

Back