Joe Meek VC1Q vs 1Q

mindcapsule

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the major sonic differences between the older Joe Meek VC1Q and the new OneQ are? What about the build quality? I noticed that the older ones were made in the UK whereas the newer ones are made in China.

Thanks,
Robert
www.mindcapsule.com

I used to own a Meek VC1Q (sold it to finance my Sebatron), and the Meek was a great vox box for the price ($500 six years ago). In fact, people are still buying these off ebay for >$400. That should tell you something.

i own one of the older ones and this quote pretty much sums it up.

was comparing it again today to my 2488 DAW and it just has a sound i like, does well on vox, bass, and really nice on a acoustic lead.

Last edited:
he pretty much slams the certain ones, maybe due to the lawsuit crap ~2003.
but inreality, the early ones were on the commercial releases and pro studios that got alot of studio positive press. So it doesn't add up really that they were so bad before PMI re-designed them?

i always get skeptical with the "new-improved" version off a good design. (my exp. with mfg. is cost cutting is #1)

i think I read he changed his name to Alan Fletcher and hasn't been heard from since.

I opened mine up, reading all this bs on the lawsuit and when they started dropping the transformer input for a chip, then re-added the input transformer...then painted it red and green. It was made in the UK, has the silver cap xformer and doesn't state CS on it anywhere. fhk i don't know!
the compressor was most highly liked, the EQ too...and gearheads liked the transformer in the front.

its a nice unit but needs alot of attention, there's no "one button" wonder settings on this thing. it can be a pain in the ass, but when you get it,
its great.

I just won a VC1Qcs on ebay. Heard some bad stuff about it, the cs version mainly as I guess that is when they replaced the transformer with a chip, but if it sounds better than my MQ3 from the same era, I'll be happy. I love the MQ3 tone/sound, I just wanted something a little more expansive sounding for my master channel vox/bass/guitars, maybe snare or kick and MQ3 on the other. Anyway, I hope the VC1Qcs will fill the bill. I read here the new units sound a little different than the old, and unless you are a die hard lover of the sound of the old like me, probably better units as they have a transformer added back in and a Burr Brown chip, switchable between the two. Either way you will have access to the great support team at PMI Audio, owners of Joemeek.

you gotta tweek the meek

i think once again, alot of the cs stuff is gearheads detailing it apart. i never heard one.

what i like about it the JM, was it didn't sound like everyone else,
had a good gain pre-amp (for a weak Shure for example)
great compressor (altho tricky)
and very warm-analog eq unit.
and a de-esser.... cool Vox strip.

It has a wide range of sounds that the user has to manually tweek in....
not just a cookie cutter "press a button and sound like everyone else" unit, which is nice to have too on occasion. :D

I've found slight adjustments can greatly alter the sound. Sometimes start over and set it up per the manual and then tweek it in again...someday I'll take notes like an intelligent person would! :eek:

Not trying to hijack, as still somewhat ot, but yeah I've noticed that about my MQ3, that a little does a lot. Though the VC1 is likely a whole new set of parameters not 'out of the box' ready like the MQ3.

Mindcapsule, I almost went for the OneQ and I'll bet it's a good unit, but I'll let you know honestly what I think of the VC1Qcs when it arrives.

COOLCAT said:
he pretty much slams the certain ones, maybe due to the lawsuit crap ~2003.
but inreality, the early ones were on the commercial releases and pro studios that got alot of studio positive press. So it doesn't add up really that they were so bad before PMI re-designed them?

i always get skeptical with the "new-improved" version off a good design. (my exp. with mfg. is cost cutting is #1)

i think I read he changed his name to Alan Fletcher and hasn't been heard from since.

I opened mine up, reading all this bs on the lawsuit and when they started dropping the transformer input for a chip, then re-added the input transformer...then painted it red and green. It was made in the UK, has the silver cap xformer and doesn't state CS on it anywhere. fhk i don't know!
the compressor was most highly liked, the EQ too...and gearheads liked the transformer in the front.

its a nice unit but needs alot of attention, there's no "one button" wonder settings on this thing. it can be a pain in the ass, but when you get it,
its great.

I think you have me all wrong. The old ones were a one trick pony. It did one sound well. If that is what you want, then the old ones are still fine. That does not change the fact the old designs did not need improvement...Red or Green.

The new units are much more than a one trick pony. They still offer the old sound, but do much more, offer more features, and "are" built better. Look inside at the build quality, feel them both and you will know how much better they are. The new ones also have very good digital interfaces as standard.

I am not being deffensive about this, just pointing out facts. If you have not used a new oneQ, then you can not comment either way. :)

excellent pics EZ....

Alan, you can be defensive if you want.
you improve and work to get a good product out is good gearhead sht.

the "included" Digital interface is a quantifiable upgrade.

I think it's too subjective to say what sounds better. Some of the older units got alot of high praise, great product.
(probably why you bought the company?)

i've only heard mine and love it. I don't know what month it was made or if there was a full moon when the tech soldered the 1/4" plug....but its not had a problem in several years. Not a pot crackling or a buzz. very nice.

i didn't mean to get you wrong, but reading alot of emails on any product,
its almost always "this new one is better than the old one".

its like reading Neve articles, the new comes out, but it doesn't mean the old one all of sudden magically isn't any good.

but yeah, I do like the digital option...i don't have that on mine.
new technology can be a great thing.
I worked DLP, the tv chip, and huge improvements were made and are still being made.....so sometimes "new" and "improved" is for real.

but I'm happy with my old one. The paint has cured and mellowed the treble colors.

VC1Q.
JOEMEEK VC1Q The VC1Q is a mono-tracking channel incorporating a transformer-coupled, hybrid designed mic preamplifier. Other features include a mic/line switch, 48V, 20dB pad, phase reverse, peak input LED, a full function JoeMeek compressor, 3-band MeQ (equalizer) with mid-swept band, enhancer, de-esser, large VU meter, output gain control and an optional 24/96 S/PDIF output card.

just like ez's pics.

The Joe Meek and Spinal Tap. :D

guesstimate....?????????? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
The VC1, UK ~1996 approx $1,000
Then the VC1Q, UK 1999
Then the VC1Qcs, UK ~2002 things got confusing. But some VC1Q were actually VC1Qcs
Now the OneQ, China 2004 added Digital I/O.

Alan was there, maybe he'll chime in.

its an interesting and confusing read.
Joe Meek was a man.
Ted Fletcher was the founder of Equipment line named Joe Meek,
named after the real Joe Meek,
but Alan owned the company or bought it.
Then there was TFProMeek who were shutdown in lawsuits it seems. and ..er...because Joe Meek was owned by PMI/AHyatt....not sure why Ted Fletcher was removed from the picture? He was told to stop painting the Meeks Red by a judge tho. Then there was something about Nupert Neve is like ProMeek is to Joe Meek was. So they all went away..leaving only one Nupert Neve and a OneQ.
:confused:

Anyway, there's an hour of my life .. I'll never get back! :eek:

here's a Mix article mentioning the VC1Qcs you bought.

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_studio_projects/index.html

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30817

As I get it everything is exactly the same on the VC1Qcs as the VC1Q except for the Current Sense Microphone Auto- Impedance matching which may even be better? and the little cs label on the front.
Enjoy.... :)

Attachments

• VC1 and VC1Qcs.JPG
    VC1 and VC1Qcs.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
COOLCAT said:
its an interesting and confusing read.
Joe Meek was a man.
Ted Fletcher was the founder of Equipment line named Joe Meek,
named after the real Joe Meek,
but Alan owned the company or bought it.
Then there was TFProMeek who were shutdown in lawsuits it seems. and ..er...because Joe Meek was owned by PMI/AHyatt....not sure why Ted Fletcher was removed from the picture? He was told to stop painting the Meeks Red by a judge tho. Then there was something about Nupert Neve is like ProMeek is to Joe Meek was. So they all went away..leaving only one Nupert Neve and a OneQ.
:confused:
Wow, I wander what Meek himself would've thought about products bearing his name being dragged through all that crap?

In fact I often wander what he'd think about his name being plastered on a lot of prosumer recording gear anyway. I wander if he was ever consulted?

As he died in the mid sixties I imagine not.

I have to say it never seemed right to me, in fact I'd never buy any of the gear because of it.

VC1,VC1Q,VC1Qcs,OneQ....

it was "in recognition of".

Here's a link some mention of the VC1Qcs.
http://www.tfpro.com/forum/index.ph...ssages=86&Submit=Go+to+Ask+a+question&forum=2

I could be totally wrong, but it seems Ted is more aware of the design, voltages and how the VC1Q were built. Ted's more of an Engineer type and Alan is the PMI President who purchased trademark Joe Meek and Toft and another one. something like that.
As stated in the openning thread..
All the new PMI/ Meek stuff is Made in China, thats one easy way to tell.
All the old stuff was UK.

Last edited:
mindcapsule, here's another post for you.

here's a Joe Meek Sound on Sound link that has mention of many mod's and changes to date.
pretty good read.
http://www.soundonsound.com/index.php?section=/&url=/search&Keyword=Joe+Meek

always liked SOS, they slam it, and pro it.. in the same article.
even mentions the bright green paint! :p

hope I didn't get you wrong Alan, the new OneQ looks great!
Ted's got some great stuff going at TFPRO too.
Sounds like it all ended amicabley.

but looks like I'll be keeping my old VC1Q! :eek:
Why? because its paid for and works perfectly.

Don't know about the One Q, but I just plugged in the VC1Qcs and a/b'd it against my MQ3. I love the sound each one has, but there is definitely a difference. Tested similar(attempted similar) comp settings, preamp only settings, the with the whole shebang. I need to download and print the manual for the VC1 but the tweakability is pretty self-learning with a little time.
First, and obviously, the MQ3 doesn't obviously have the setup to fine tune to the detail the VC1 does. I've heard people say the de-esser and Q is worthless. Bullshit. Well, for me anyway on vocals (only thing I've used as input thus far). The Q I can't hear much of, but the de-esser seems to be a frequency manipulator, which is good. It relieves some of the high end without taking the high out, just adjusting the frequency high or low. That's what it seems to me anyways.
VC1's preamp seems much more sensitive (again, all things as equal in input/output as possible on the units), picks up details in my voice that I like. MQ3 sounds a little darker straight up with nothing added. Maybe a little muffled...not the right word. Like listening to something with an earplug barely in (MQ3) and then taking it out (VC1). Anyway, I'll play around with it more and post back my findings if you are interested.

great news.
the fact it works well is one big plus.
congrats.

I agree, the desser works well for notching out those s'shhhss. :p

the comp and eq, its like hands-on fine tuning analogish,
its all about the sound on these things its the only way to set them up is with your ears,tho the manual gets you started off right. imo.

Back