Joe Meek VC1Q vs 1Q

As far as the hardware itself, ask me in a year. I mean, right now using it, China did a good job. Though that doesn't mean anything because I haven't had it that long and thrown stuff at it.

Now sound, no buzzes or pops. I paid about $490. I like the features it has, though I haven't gotten the chance to use them all. I like the peak lights, very useful. The Meequalizer has good range. As far as mic usage, I've only used my NTK as that is the only mic I have at home.

I'll have more input after this week.

It sounds well built and the materials are above average as far as the aluminum and steel.

The only thing I do not like hearing, andso many companys do this, is the Solder-Jack thing.... not bolted down. wht the hell?
My China made Tascam 2488 Full of crap jacks. The Canadian Yorkvilles- 1/4 jacks kinda loose... c'mon guys...Amplifiers too...and guitars...plastic jacks???whats up?? The most used interface!!! and its not bolted down or plastic??

I highly recommend getting a "interface cable" to reduce the usage of them.
Its easier to change a cable out instead of an internal jack, patch bay even better.

Love the Joe Meek, its just musical to my ears, the Acoustic guitar, Bass, Vocals especially..... very,very nice.

Sounds like your first impressions are good, OOB.

Like the two 50 year Anniversary books on Fender- Stratocasters and Amplifiers. It'd be a great, great Gearhead read on the Joe Meek line, all the changes and people and lawsuits and design and factory moves. IMO.

Sounds like you like it. $490 is a helluva deal.... look forward to your "HR review".

Just for fun, I replaced the TLO72 with the Texas Instruments "impoved" version of the chip (several times more expensive). I think the compressor had a more stable attack and release with these chips, especially when massive amount of comression are used, but I don't think I like the eq and output gain as much with the "better" chips. Sometimes more expensive is better, sometimes it's not.

Craig

just for the record almost 100% of TI stuff is packaged and tested in China or overseas (malaysia).
most the Chips are now being built overseas too.

craigmorris74 said:
Just for fun, I replaced the TLO72 with the Texas Instruments "impoved" version of the chip (several times more expensive). I think the compressor had a more stable attack and release with these chips, especially when massive amount of comression are used, but I don't think I like the eq and output gain as much with the "better" chips. Sometimes more expensive is better, sometimes it's not.

Craig

What unit did you put it in?

Is that the chip? What did you put it in?
I replaced the 8 or 9 SL brand TLO72 (53 cents), for Texas instruments "improved" version-the TLE2072CP ($2.25) . Yes these are a pin dual JFET opamps I think.
From the TI datasheet:
description
The TLE207x series of JFET-input operational amplifiers more than double the bandwidth and triple the slew rate of the TL07x and TL08x families of BiFET operational amplifiers. Texas Instruments Excalibur process yields a typical noise floor of 11.6 nV/√Hz, 17-nV/√Hz ensured maximum, offering immediate improvement in noise-sensitive circuits designed using the TL07x. The TLE207x also has wider supply voltage rails, increasing the dynamic signal range for BiFET circuits to ±19 V. On-chip zener trimming of offset voltage yields precision grades for greater accuracy in dc-coupled applications. The TLE207x are pin-compatible with lower performance BiFET operational amplifiers for ease in improving performance in existing designs.

After reading through this thread and others, I ordered a TwinQ today. I don't know Alan or anyone at Joe Meek, but I value customer support. Virtually every piece of electronics in my studio was made in China. My Presonus gear, my Masterlink, my MXL mics all are of Chinese origin.

I don't believe any of this was made by "slave labor". The fact that labor is cheaper overseas is just that... a fact. Some of you make more money than me... that's a fact. I make more than the average factory worker. That doesn't mean they are indentured servants. That's the way the world works... and the Chinese are embracing capitalism in a big way.

Regardless.... Alan, thank you for the tact and class you have shown in this thread. I voted with my pocket book.

I don't have the OneQ, but you could open it up and look. If you think there is any weakness in the unit, look at the components in that section.
I personally thought everything in the ThreeQ sounded good, but sometimes the attack and release of the compression induced unmusical random pumping (and I dig heavy pumping when controlled). So that's were I now have the TI chips in the ThreeQ.

I don't have the OneQ, but you could open it up and look. If you think there is any weakness in the unit, look at the components in that section.
I personally thought everything in the ThreeQ sounded good, but sometimes the attack and release of the compression induced unmusical random pumping (and I dig heavy pumping when controlled). So that's were I now have the TI chips in the ThreeQ.
If there's nothing bugging you about the sound of the OneQ, I wouldn't mess with it!

COOLCAT said:
BTW......... You bought a ONEQ......what do you think of it? Build quality good? Sound? Buzzes pops?

Uh oh, it's got a humming sound. Started up a week ago. I'm going to take it to a friend of mine tomorrow to test it.

just for grins, Im doing the dusty vault thread.

I re-bought the VC1Q, now 15-16yrs later since it was built, its still is a unit that is flawless and no issues. I dont know how much usage, ill assume average. The paint is in perfect shape- well kept noted, the knobs, VU meter and jacks are all working without a crackle or pop...I find this pretty damn impressive. It sounds frkn great on vox and can handle the SM7 well.

I also have a OneQ now (super deal off CL). The unit is also older, discontinued version 1 of the One Q. It too is working perfectly and has zero issues. The knobs feel solid and the preamp gain is quiet without a source. I guess this unit is around 9yrs old now. No flaws here either.

So in a "dusty vault" thread update..... the overseas mfg and the debate of bad parts hasnt shown up yet on my pieces. England or China.

The old one I re-bought is very cool and has a "sound". Its a unique approach. They get fewer to find each year and seem to sell up to $550-$450. Actually up a little.

The new oneQ is more versatile, it has the very cool IRON switch, it has good metering and the Digital stuff included which is usually a $300-$500 option on other brands. MSRP is now $1000 and used is $450-$500.

Rereading my remarks is bizarre, imo. I was the one being defensive for the VC1Q against the "new improved" etc..
I didnt know then PMI was the distributor for the old and new.

The offshores stuff mentioned is funny as the group I referred to sending stuff overseas continued down that path and 100% mfg overseas now and only a small group of US workers (mainly management) remain in the US(some had to move overseas to keep the job).
The group basically laid off 7 of 10 people, since ...70% laid off. That was maybe 5yrs ago. interesting.
The product offshored tanked and is no longer a money maker either, its actually a very dead technology too...funny how time flys.

The Joe Meek stuff is still a unique piece imo, I always liked them. They werent "copying" the big name stuff as almost all the others are trying to be Neve or a Pultec etc...so I give JoeMeek gear some cheers for that.

time capsule thread to be opened again in 20 yrs.?... lol

Back