JDV vs. Countryman85

darkecho

So, the JDV has a huge buffer due to its AC supply, and it has the drag control to allow manipulation of the pickup loading level, but only has a max of 3.9mOhms, compared to the Countrymans 10mOhms. is this a reason to go with either one? does pickup load realy affect how the instrument sounds?

Yes, input impedance does affect the sound for sure. But with those values, I don't think input impedance should be the deciding factor. Based on my experiences, either box can easily handle any passive pickup.

Both are excellent DIs. If it's live work, I'd be torn as the Radial will be comfortable with anything you throw at it, but needs AC. The Countryman is a great box, but it's definitely possible to overload it with really hot line-level devices. For the studio, I'd probably go with the Radial. I really like Radial products, and I either own or have owned LOTS of DIs.

I think I'd not make the choice: I'd buy the Radial, and scope a used Countryman on ebay. :)

darkecho said:
another thing, How does the Radial J48 stack up against those two?
DI's are like mics or preamps. they're all colors in the pallette. it's like asking which mic is better than another--the answer is "it depends". they're all good.

i've got a countryman and i love it. it's clean and clear and does my strat, tele and my buddy's old pbass great justice. i'd like to pick up a JDV at some point in the future to have another "choice".

cheers,
wade

I am speaking more in terms of being able to handle more instruments. My biggest concern is that if I get a Passive DI box, I will load the pickups and alter the tone to something I dont like as much, or if I go active, and use it on an active bass or something, that it will distort. I'd really like the JDV because of its input impedance drag control where you can adjust the input impedance, but the unit is a lot more expensive than the J48 or JDI.

Personally, I am a big fan of the Radial and to throw one other in the mix, the BSS DI's. I like the Countrymans a lot, but over the years I have had stupid durability issues with them. They all sound very good, but the Radials and the BSS DI's seem to be built much better. Thee BSS also offers a three way pad and both 1/4" and xlr pass throughs. Over the years I have probably had 18 or so Countryman DI's. Every single one of them needs constant attention to the screws and jacks. The screws come loose really easily, as well as the jacks. This is a pretty well known problem, but people usually just put up with it. For a long time people kind of had to because there was no other good option:)

Back