Interface + XLR mic + 250 Ohms headphone + Xonar essence STX = ???

RecordingRookie

heya

First as a Reference, I am looking to buy a new microphone setup but am also quite clueless, my initial mic request post is here https://homerecording.com/bbs/equip...nce-including-voice-overs-378996/#post4300258

Now, honestly, that thread opened more questions than it helped me make a decision on what to do.

in short what im trying to accomplish :

My needs and intentional use

I am planning to produce Videos with Voice overs, on almost a daily basis, at home, to then publish via youtube.
Now it is important to me that the Voice Overs are clear in quality, intimate in feel and audience inclusive, meaning the audience feels being part of the experience by feeling close to the narrator, think similiar to BBC wildlife documentaries.
My Budget is quite short, I am also not planning to do any instrumental recording or any kind of musical work, only Voice Overs.

I already Own a Xonar Essence STX Headphone soundcard, which has in i nbuilt amp for headphones and I use a Beyerdynamic 250 Ohms DT 8800 Headphone, which goes directly into the soundcard and is driven by it.

Now, what i dont know is how a interface for a solid XLR mic, say for a ShurePG42 XLR, would work with my existing setup.

I was told that I would have too many sources for recording my speech and sound with the soundcard for theh eadphones and external interface for the microphone.

Where do I go from here ?

Do I ditch my soundcard and get an expensive interface which drives both my headphones and the XLR mic i would then buy ?

Do I stick with my current setup and buy a USB Shure PG42 ?

Or do I keep my soundcard, drive the headphone with that and get the XLR seperate on the interface ?

The advantage of the XLR/interface stup is supposed to be superior sound quality and saving myself work by not having to post equalize all the voice overs as the interface is doing that. Is that actually the case ?

Haaaaaalp !

Ive read some more threads on this and it seems i might be best served by selling my xonar STX and driving the XLR mic and 250 ohm DT 8800 through a focusrite 2i2 ?

humph, thats pretty pricey to do, i probably wouldnt get much for a used xonar i wager.

Hey, slow down buddy.
You've three threads all loosely on the same topic, and this one's only two hours old.

Sit tight. :)

Well this one is on interface, the other on choice of microphone, both in their respective sub forums, i was hoping to garner more response that way :-/

Well this one is on interface, the other on choice of microphone, both in their respective sub forums, i was hoping to garner more response that way :-/
You won't garner more responses that way. It's the same people who look at all the forums. It's like advertising in three local papers, instead of advertising in three different cities. All you will do is irritate the people who could provide help.

Interface . . . microphone . . . it's all the one issue.

BBC voice-overs are narrated by professionals and recorded by professionals on high-end equipment, so your aspirations are very high. To expect to achieve those aspirations in a domestic environment with budget equipment is a little heroic.

But you can get very respectable results by setting yourself up with reasonable gear from the start.

For microphones, think along the lines of EV RE20, Rode Broadcaster or Shure SM7B. You need an interface, but it can be a pretty basic one. The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is highly regarded, and would suit your needs. This would replace your PC's onboard sound. Plug mike, headphones and monitors (if you intend to use any) into the interface, and you will be pretty well set to go.

My apologies, I certainly didnt mean to irritate anyone here.

Okay thats the interface off the list, thank you.

the RE20 and Shure SM7B are both a bit pricey for me, can you comment on the Beyer M 99 and/ or shure pg42 at all ?

Back