Interface upgrade time

jimmys69

MOODerator
I think it time to upgrade from my Tascam US1800. Looking at Steinberg UR824. Actually, two of them, to get track count up to 16. You can run a second one, as a standalone, using it's ADAT output.

Looking for any advice/input on the UR824, or any other USB interface.

My issue with the UR824, is the fact that is does not have true line level inputs (they run through the preamp, which I believe the lowest level is +16db gain) . It does have a pad, and the preamps are said to be clean enough to use for line input. I have a Vintech x73i, and some lower end ART preamps.

The main reason for my interest in the 824, is it's direct functionality with Cubase. DSP effects (direct monitoring), are supposed to run from within Cubase. Only 8 channels, and I need at least 16. Now, not having any clue as to the workings of ADAT (The 824 has two ADAT in/out and word clock), would I be better off just getting one 824, and something else, with line inputs, and ADAT output? I'm not so sure that the ART preamps are really worth using, but I would definitely like a clean input for the Vintech, or any other preamp upgrade that I purchase.

I don't wish to spend $2,000+ on a D/A converter just yet, but do have around $1500 to play with. The UR824 is going for $600 now.

Any advice, would be greatly appreciated. :)

Jimmy

Does it need to be USB or could you entertain PCI/PCIe interface. I say this cause I switched to PCI and have had really good performance. I notice most folks around here talk mainly about Firewire and USB. Most are on Laptops, so that makes sense. But if you have a desktop, the net could be cast a little wider and PCI/PCIe is as about as fast as you are going to get for data IO.

Now I would have to research this a little bit, but I think it could take some load of the CPU as well, but that is just speculation at this point.

LMAO! Nope, just had a fallout with my employer at Tascam. He he he...

Just time to move forward.

Lots of stuff to sell now tho. :)

Actually, truth be told; Cubase 7 (new version) has issues with changing buffer settings with the Tascam. Possibly like Protools has issue with the interface. Can't change them, without restarting Cubase. So, I have some cash, well I used to. So did some research, and like the fact that I can control DSP input effects, from within my DAW, with the Steiny interface. And ADAT connection for 24 tracks. Plus, there are great things said about the interface pre's, converters.... So, moving forward-hopefully. :)

To pick up on the "Not proper line inputs" thing...

The practice of padding a mic input to turn it into a line input is so common it is almost an industry standard! Virtually all AIs with combo XLRs do it this way and all but THE most prestigous of mixers. So, does it matter sonically?

Well, if you believe that a well designed mic amplifier add nothing but noise (and not a lot of that) to a signal, then no, it does not matter. After all, a dedicated line input is likely to be EXACTLY the same IC as the mic amp but with less gain! Yes, a padded mic input might be noisier than a dedicated line amp but you have to ask "where is my line signal coming from?" If it is a $200 synth/drum machine, or the line out of a gitamp it is likely noisier than the input however it is configured!

ADAT is an answer of course but then how good are THOSE preamps?

Dave.

To pick up on the "Not proper line inputs" thing...

The practice of padding a mic input to turn it into a line input is so common it is almost an industry standard! Virtually all AIs with combo XLRs do it this way and all but THE most prestigous of mixers. So, does it matter sonically?

Well, if you believe that a well designed mic amplifier add nothing but noise (and not a lot of that) to a signal, then no, it does not matter. After all, a dedicated line input is likely to be EXACTLY the same IC as the mic amp but with less gain! Yes, a padded mic input might be noisier than a dedicated line amp but you have to ask "where is my line signal coming from?" If it is a $200 synth/drum machine, or the line out of a gitamp it is likely noisier than the input however it is configured!

ADAT is an answer of course but then how good are THOSE preamps?

Dave.

Thank you for the response man.

That is exactly why I decided to go with two of the 824's, as opposed to going with a cheap version of a line level/converter.

I had thought about using the 824, and connecting something like a Behri ADA8000, to get ADAT line inputs. But I am betting that a $200/8 channel converter (with preamps), is going to be a greater compromise, than running my Vintech X72i, through a quality interface, with preamp inserted line inputs. Especially since the Steinberg unit has a 24db pad, and the converters/preamps are reviewed as much better. My other preamps, that I used with the Tascam 1800, are low end anyway (ART DPSII, TPS, and Pro Channel). So other than the Vintech, I was already biting at the bit, just to get my track count up. Not to mention, that I was using a $200 Tascam US1800 interface (and it's converters), to run a $1500 preamp.

A thought I had earlier; Tascam US1800 - $12.5 per channel, for input/conversion. UR824 - $100 per channel, for input/conversion. Hope that the quality = price.

I will run my two UR824's, one as a stand alone via ADAT, and still have the ability to add 8 more channels later. If there is a loss of quality, via the lack of actual line inputs from the unit, I am sure it will be outweighed by what I would hear, from a cheaply produced converter. Plus, I still will have another ADAT input, for 8 more tracks, should I decide to go with something more ....well, more expensive/better.

I am amazed by the lack of production of lower priced line level/ADAT converters. Well, there seems to be a gap, in the price level anyway. I suppose, the thinking may be, that if one needs 8 ADAT output converters, you probably want the highest level possible, and that actually makes some sense. Why would you run high quality preamps, through low quality/priced converters? The low level stuff, has preamps included, which obviously would seem to cut into the quality/performance for the price. I only wish to spend money on the converter end, as well as get my track count up to 16. Well, that cost is a bit above what I want to accomplish right now (decent stuff starts around $1,800 for 8 channels).

I am not wishing to make this a conversation, regarding opinions of A/D D/A conversion, but I will give my personal opinions about how this all works out for me in the end. I hope to find some kind of 'converter nirvana' with this, but I am not expecting anything more, than getting my inputs more organized, complete integration into my software (Cubase), and move a step up from the cable jungle I have behind my rack right now.

Units will be delivered Monday. Updates to come...

Last edited:
OK, interfaces setup and running. Some minor glitches, caused by me, but everything running smoothly. Now I just need to read some manuals...

Back