Which interface should I get?

gongli

I need at least 8 inputs (pre amps) to record classical music (string quartet).
I am currently using focusrite scarlett 2i2 and happy with the sound, but would the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 be an upgrade in sound quality, or are there others I should consider for under 1K.

The Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 is better than focusrite scarlett 18i20, right?

Thanks in advance...

Hello and welcome gongli!

In my experience asking this kind of question is like asking if you like peanut butter or jelly better. It's a preference thing and while you might get some people who have the particular interface you're asking about who can give some pros and cons you might not get the absolute answer you're looking for.

I don't know anything about either interface you asked about, but I have the TASCAM US-1800 and it works great. It has 8 mic inputs and it's pretty cheap these days (since it's not the latest version). It was suggested to me here on HR.com and I've been very happy with mine (which I bought on eBay for under $200).

Good luck and again welcome!

Hi there,

Just to clarify - the Scarlett 18i20 and Saffire Pro40 are both fairly similar. The only advantages of the Pro40 are that you can set its optical input to decode Optical S/PDIF and that it has 2 loopback channels built in for recording between software.

Other than that, the units are effectively the same - it's just the choice between USB or Firewire.

Hope that helps.

Dan

instead I would definitely get the Audient ASP880, it is a great unit and would be a much bigger upgrade in terms of AD quality and far better preamps, I think they are under £1k

If you are looking to get the Audient ASP880, remember you will need an interface like the Audient iD22. Just FYI.

Why do I need an additional interface like iD22?
Asp880 won't work by itself connected to a computer like focusrite 18i20?

Why do I need an additional interface like iD22?
Asp880 won't work by itself connected to a computer like focusrite 18i20?

yes you need an ADAT input on your interface, so it can connect to another interface, they've just released the iD14, which looks really good, it has an ADAT input.

Back