Inserting Compression on a Soundcraft Ghost

smsayre65

Hi
I recently purchased a new Soundcraft Ghost (2012 Model) and was wondering how the heck I'm supposed to insert compression on a channel insert? Doesn't seem to work no matter what I do. HTH. I realize the trs setup nowadays is different and all, but, does anyone know how to use compressors in the channel inserts? Can you??? Big time thanks!!
Steve

You need an insert cable (TRS on one end split to two TS on the other) and you need to know if the TRS insert on the board is tip-send or ring-send. My Soundcraft GB2R is tip-send. If the TS ends are labelled Left and Right then Left=Tip. So on my board I would plug the TRS into the board's insert jack, the TS from tip into the input of the compressor and the TS from ring into the compressor's output. Swap the TS connections if your board is ring-send.

A few compressors have a TRS so you can use a simple TRS-TRS cable. For example the FMR RNC can connect to a mixer's tip-send insert with a single TRS-TRS cable.

Some larger boards have separate insert send and return connectors.

I can't imagine they've changed anything... You are using an insert cable, right...?

TIP - ToInPut
RING - Return

Hi
I realize the trs setup nowadays is different and all,

What makes you say this?

The only difference I have ever come across is on very expensive consoles that have balanced sends and returns, these have a separate TRS send and TRS return on each channel. Not many people here would have used one.

Alan.

Thanks for the response! Yes sir, using an insert cable. I guess some folks are saying its Tip-return and ring-send on alot of new consoles now, including the ghost. I probably need to find cables wired tip-return. Do they make them?

Hi guys
Well, I guess it IS wired in reverse on the Ghost along with many newer consoles being made, not just expensive ones. So for the folks on here like myself who dont have a Neve, etc. you may want to look at Tip-return Ring-send to insert compression on some consoles being made now. Thanks again for the replies!
Steve

Roger that. I was going to try that but it seemed too easy, haha! I'll let you know the results and thanks! Just so used to the old ways I guess......

Well, reversing the cables at the compressor absolutely worked! I had a Behringer mx8000 for years and years and always just ran things "stock". The Ghost is definitely a step up. This was a learning experience. Now, someone else may benefit from this post by simply typing in "inserting compression". Also, I DID look in the manual and I KNEW that they were reversed from Mackie, Behringer, etc my question was how to run them. Didnt think it would be as easy as just switching the flow due to so much propreitary architecture nowadays that make simple solutions impossible. Thanks again!
Steve

Back