Inexpensive preamp Vs. my mixer's pres

That's a nice story, except Beethoven was never married and he actually WAS deaf! I'm sure you were just kidding, but it's amazing what people will believe if they read it on a message board. :D

Actually, he really was married, but kept it a secret because his wife was the one who composed the music since he was deaf and couldn't. I saw it on the history channel. :p

I'm not certain that you're even reading the same thread that I am.

Where did the guy say he wasn't happy? And no, I'm not trying to mess with you or ask leading questions. I'm trying to get back to reality, here. I didn't read the part that you read about being uhappy. You made that inference / assumption.

Seriously, let's break this down.

"It sounds Ok through my mixer"

Now I suppose "Ok" can be interperated one of two ways, depending on whether you feel the glass is half empty or full. But again, let's be realistic here. He's got an old mic. He's probably not very experienced in the arts or recording, hence his question. Frankly, I'd be really surprized if it sounded "stupendous," so I'll accept "Ok." I guess I just don't see that as a bad thing ... a rare occasion for me to see the positive in a given situation, being the grumpy bastard that I am. :D

"but it needs a lot of gain and gets a little noisy."

Alright. Let's break this down a little more. He has an old ribbon, and he's saying it needs a lot of gain. Now I'm not trying to talk down on you or anything, so I'm going to assume you've used ribbons before, and that you probably are aware of the fact that, for an old ribbon mic to need a lot of gain .... again isn't an unsual situation.

Going further, he says that it gets "a little" noisy. Again, I'm not flipping out here, just yet. Old ribbon. Needs lots of gain. Gets "a little" noisy. yea, go on.

In fact, it if gets just a "little" noisey, I'd say we're actually doing pretty good. "A little," at least to me, means not much. And in his situation, not much is actually a pretty good thing. So in review ... we've gone from an "okay" situation to a pretty good situation. Which is good. Again, I'm just reading what he's saying. Had he instead said: "This old mic sounds like a God Awful, ugly mess through my mixer," ... I may have responded differently.

I feel like i'm not getting the most from it.

Alright. So you don't "feel" like you're getting the most from it. Now to me, "feelings" tend to fall under the same category as things like suspicions or inclinations ... to wild guesses and speculations. Feelings just don't provide enough "meat" for me to base a solid conclusion on that something isn't working.

Whether or not you like how I say things ... it was a positive post (as the majority of mine tend to be, if you read them), affirming the equipment he already has. And it was constructive in the sense that I might have saved him some money that could be better spent if he put it away in to his 401K or bought some extra beer or something. :D

I also have a suspicion that you've never heard anything I've worked on in the last 5 years (or ever). But because you don't like the way I've come accross ... you've made the leap / assumption that my work sucks.

And judging from the kind of leaps you've made in this thread ... there may be just a bit of the 'ol "Pot calling the kettle black" going on here with what I see as some big-time negativitiy with your own comments.

Jeezuz.

The (cheap) VTB-1 with 72 dB gain and low noise floor is surely a good candidate.

"work"

My work sucks. Ill admit it. I am terrible at recording and i make horrible decisions about what equipment to buy and i basically just "look" at mics and preamps and conclude whether or not buy them based on how they look to me.

I dont want to stare at some futuristic silver piece of metal when im trying to be creative.

My recordings are noisy and amateurish. Sometimes i dont even try a different mic position, i just leave it where it is. Other times, ill try for an hour to find a sweet spot that isnt anywhere near as good as it sounds when i just throw the mic up randomly.

Most of my best sounds were accidents.

completely off topic

I know this is more off topic thn it could ever be, but i thought it would be hilarious to observe humanity up close so that we can see how ridiculous it is, and in turn see how ridiculous we ourselves are. And to do this i think copy/pasting Wikipedias list of defined subgenres of techno music does a fantastic job of revealing the stupidity of mankind. Dont forget, as Wikipedia makes clear, techno "artists" will sometimes mix these subgenres within one "song".

Ambient
Ambient dub
Ambient house
Ambient industrial
Ambient techno
Chill out
Dark ambient
Dronology
Illbient
Isolationist ambient music
Lowercase
Nature-inspired ambient music