Inexpensive Preamp/Compressor Strip

ksounds

Hey guys.

I can bypass the preamps on my M-Audio solo interface thought the back inputs, and I thought it would be very cool to have an inexpensive option for some different flavors into the computer. Something with color would be great, seeing as how the m-audio solo is very neutral.

Like everyone else, I don't have much money to spend, and hi-fidelity is not of concern here. Mostly looking for something that imparts a certain desirable color to the signal. Thinking of something like the Art Pro Pac or the Joe Meek three q. Possibly a combo thing like a SP VTB-1/compressor.

Just something to turn some dials and have fun with. Will be used exclusively for vocals and acoustic guitars. Thanks for any comments and suggestions.

Cheap cheap? ART TubePAC. Just inexpensive? The Pro Channel adds an EQ. It's more than double the price, though. Yet still, it's pretty cool. OK, flame suit.................................. ON!!!!!

If you want colour then I can recommend the Joe Meek 3Q.
It's the only channel strip I've ever owned, mind you.
Excellent preamp, great compression and 3band EQ which I haven't actually used.

Cheap cheap? ART TubePAC. Just inexpensive? The Pro Channel adds an EQ. It's more than double the price, though. Yet still, it's pretty cool. OK, flame suit.................................. ON!!!!!

I was looking at the Pro Channel. It does look pretty cool. I'm thinkin' more in the 2-300 dollar range at the hi -end. The propac is intriguing.

If you want colour then I can recommend the Joe Meek 3Q.
It's the only channel strip I've ever owned, mind you.
Excellent preamp, great compression and 3band EQ which I haven't actually used.

That one looks very cool too. Just to expensive for me right now. I would probably never use the eq either as I would do my eq in the computer. Mostly looking for preamp/compressor to impart some color. I think a used vtb-1 and a fmr rnla might be the way to go.

Last edited:
I think a used vtb-1 and a fmr rnla might be the way to go.

I don't know what it is, and it is probably my new meds, but something about guitar-pedals-on-steroids that pose as rack gear gives me the willies. 1/3rd rack 'pedals'. Thanks, but no thanks. And those wall-warts? Sure. If that's all there was available. They'll lack some things like, ooh, I don't know, balanced in/out connections. High impedance inputs belong on guitar amps. OK, that's my rant. Like I said, it's likely my new meds kicking in. But I've yet to drink the Kool-Aid that is FMR. I still think I'd rather have a full rack piece with a dedicated power supply, balanced in/out connections, and a few more controls to twiddle.

I don't know what it is, and it is probably my new meds, but something about guitar-pedals-on-steroids that pose as rack gear gives me the willies. 1/3rd rack 'pedals'. Thanks, but no thanks. And those wall-warts? Sure. If that's all there was available. They'll lack some things like, ooh, I don't know, balanced in/out connections. High impedance inputs belong on guitar amps. OK, that's my rant. Like I said, it's likely my new meds kicking in. But I've yet to drink the Kool-Aid that is FMR. I still think I'd rather have a full rack piece with a dedicated power supply, balanced in/out connections, and a few more controls to twiddle.

There's a ART pro channel locally for $200.00. Those get pretty darn good reviews. I might be down with that.

There's a ART pro channel locally for $200.00. Those get pretty darn good reviews. I might be down with that.

I see a lot of ART where I shop. And I like some of it. I think it gives you great value, and very decent performance. Transparent? No. And not to sound like I work for ART, there are some pieces I bought, took home, tried it for a week or two, and returned. It just wasn't what I was after. Where I shop for ART, they have a 30-day no-hassle return policy.
No, if you have a thin wallet, as I do, you can do a lot worse than ART. I ask for service literature, I get it. No questions asked. So I can do a slight mod or two beyond tube rolling and get it even better. Well, sometimes. Other times it just is what it is. But the support I get, and the return policy, is always welcomed. Try that with Joe Meek stuff. I still want a Joe Meek compressor, but for now, ART is colored and fun.

If you can find a TLAudio Fatman Fat II they are great, I have one I got for $200 used. A wicked tube pre amp and compressor. Gives real nice colour to any mic and has really good compressor pre sets but also has the option for you to change the parameters of the compressor. I want to get another one but sometimes they are hard to find used.
Matt

Back