impossible to use compressor?

ikijapan

Just following up on a previous post where someone spoke of setting up a compressor. I have an EMU 1820 and someone mentioned that you have to hook up the preamp before the compressor or something like that. So, with my set up, is it not possible to use a compressor before hitting the DAW then??

Right. There is no way to put a compressor right after a mic, the compressor is expecting a line level signal, and the mic is putting out a teeny weeny little signal (excuse the overly technical jargon :D ).

I don't know the 1820, but you can check the block diagram or other info to see if you might do something like mic into one channel, aux or efx out, through a compressor, then line into another channel and record that channel. But you'll have to see how clean that ends up being, if you can do it at all.

if you use the EMU 1820 as your analog to digital converter (meaning you plug a mic in to the interface box, connect the interface box to the PCI card and hit record) you can NOT use a hardware compressor on the way in.

the emu 1820 does NOT have insert points.

what you would need to do is record the tracks, then send them out the 1/4in balanced outputs into the compressor and then back into the emu via the 1/4in balanced inputs.

if you want to run a compressor before your emu, you will need to get outboard mic preamps. mic to mic preamp to compressor to emu's balanced 1/4in inputs.

cheers,
wade

Wow, crazy. Thanks for the insight everyone!

So, wait a sec...I totally didn't know that. So, what about in a live situation, or for band practice, how can I use a compressor for vocals going to a vocal amp? Is it not possible? That was another use I had planned to use it for... :confused:

mrface2112 said:
what you would need to do is record the tracks, then send them out the 1/4in balanced outputs into the compressor and then back into the emu via the 1/4in balanced inputs.

cheers,
wade

Yeah, it looks like there's no way to get the compressor before the converters, but you may not actually need to record first. If the E-Mu software mixer has a routing section that can send an input back out to an output, you can then loop it out to the compressor and into a line in on another channel.
However, in this scenario it would make sense to go ahead and record both the compressed and the un-compressed tracks so that if you aren't happy later with the compressor settings you used, you have the dry track to work with. This will not do anything to prevent hitting the first A/D too hard, since the compressor is after the first A/D.

If you were using a compressor in a live situation on a vocal mic channel, I'm assuming your mic would be running into a mixer of some sort. With any luck, that mixer will have an insert jack, which you would get the aforementioned cable for, the one with the TRS jack on one end and the two TS jacks coming out the other, which you would then plug into the I/O on the compressor. Plug in the compressor, make the appropriate adjustments,
and you're all set.

Back