If you could only purchase 1, what would it be?

studiogenocide

I have all the necessary tools to make a pleasant recording: DAW, Multitrack software, wave editor, small mixer, mics, POD - however, I do not have any rackmountable equipment. I use a lot of plugins (waves gold). If you were in my shoes and could only purchase one more piece of hardware for the studio in the way processing / effects, what would it be? I am seriously considering purchasing a really nice mic pre- but i want to know what others think as far as "what is most important" in their rack setup.!

I would say a nice preamp, it makes a big difference, and you never have enough pre's, for variety and need.. you know

A reel-to-reel analog mastering deck... not kidding. :)

Yeah! :cool:

But since the question seems to be focused on your typical "rack gear"...yeah, a high-end 2-channel mic preamp is never a bad purchase.
Other than that...a good EQ or Comp is also a good thing to have.

You didn't list your Mic cabinet... I'd start there... then preamp for sure... capture it accurately, then screw with it in the box

You haven't mentioned one of the most important things- monitors. You need decent monitors unless you already have them.

Back