The ideal rack for the gigging acoustic guitarist.

Chuckschwandt

Do you have a great sounding
acoustic rack for doing live gigs ?
Tell us about it. What gear do you
use to get your sweet sound.

Chuck

The boss acoustic simulator stomp box, and Line 666 POD dreadnought pre amp, and a carbon fibre pick, and a uhh uhh... huhhh.. huhuh.. hhhuhuhuhuUHUASDASJAHSFAUIJf.

Nice stuff here

Hi Kristian,

Now that is very interesting. You use an acoustic
simulator. I'm assuming that is a unit built for
the electric guitarist and your using it on a
acoustic ? Tell me more about this 666 dreadnought
preAmp. What is a carbon fibre pick ? Sounds like
you have one of those unique set-ups. Tell us more.

Thanks for your input,
Chuck

I go from a Fishman Prefix, straight to my mackie from the Mackie go thru an Alesis 2/30 - 3630- BBE 262- 900 watt amp-pair of JBLs, My effects are an Alesos microverb II and 4.
Does the trick well. only thing I think I need is a DI. and a mic, and a decent audiance, and an auditorium, a new car. a two inch reel to reel...............a custom guitar.
to get off my butt and practice.............

Marshall & Yamaha & Piezzo

My set up that works well for my "Midlife Crisis" band.

I use my acoustic guitar(Ovation imitation) with a built in Piezzo on a 200 Watt Marshall transistor Bass amp. I have built it into a half open crate with a 15 inch bass speaker and a Motorola tweeter. For reverb, I mainly use a gated reverb, send by effects send/return on the Marshall in combination with the REX50 Multi effects from Yamaha.

This combination keeps my acoustic guitar audible in a rock band with two other electric guitars. I'm not saying that it gives me the most natural acoustic sound, but I don't get any feedback on stage, and the impression of hearing acoustic guitar survives between the sound of drums, bass, two other guitars, and three vocals.

I am quite happy with it. I did not spend a lot of money, but it took some time to construct the cabinet well.

Long road to good tone

When I started doing solo gigs, I despised
the sound of my acoustic. After realizing that
others came to the same conclusion with
acoustic guitars, and recording engineers
as well, I began to dig into the problem
and experiment. I first bought A really
good instrument with Rosewood back and sides
(Lowden). Then I identified the offending
frequencies at the speakers. The 800 HZ to
1.5 KHZ was where I came to rest in my search.
I narrowly cut it with a sweepable mid range
parametric EQ, not a mixing board EQ; it wipes
out the good neighbor frequencies. From here
I run through a tube preamp, then to Amp, and out
through Bose 802 speakers. I use a light chorus
effect. I'm thinking about going to a Joe Meek
VCQ6 for a preamp soon; it has a sweepable mid
range EQ built into the unit. With this approach,
I can eliminate the parametric unit out of my
rack. I believe the less signal processing done,
the better off I am. I have approached others who
have great acoustic ambiance in concert, and
most give tribute to their instrument of choice,
not their gear. Many play Olson guitars - I'm
still dreaming about one.

Chuck

[Edited by Chuckschwandt on 09-12-2000 at 07:02]

Harvey Reid's Setup

Harvey was the 1981 National Guitar Finger Picking Champion. Here's his on-stage setup: Plugs all instruments with a stereo cord into a Fishman Pocket Blender, which then either goes directly to the house or else first to an on stage Fishman Acoustic Performer amp (when possible) that he uses as a monitor. He uses a Crown GLM-100 hyper-cardioid mike in each instrument, in conjunction with a Fishman Matrix Natural pickup.

As you might have guessed, he helped design this system with Fishman. Harvey doesn't use any effects for his guitars on-stage or during recording, except a little reverb, and his sound is superb.

For those who are interested, he likes to record using an AT 4051 mic. For more on Harvey Reid, check out http://www.woodpecker.com

I had the pleasure of running the sound system at our church for a musician from Nashville playing an acoustic guitar. He had a Joe Mills microphone inside the body and a transducer under the bridge. He had a rack with a stereo graphic eq and two Alesis midiverbs. The mic and transducer were each routed to a channel on the eq and out to a midiverb. It took a little tweaking on the soundboard to get the levels balanced between the mic and the transducer but it was the fullest sound I have heard from an acoustic. I ran only the transducer through the monitor to prevent feedback from the internal mic.

I was impressed enough to try it myself with a Martin Thinline 322 transducer and an Audio Technica AT831b lavalier mic. I had to build a phantom power box for the AT ($5 parts from Radio Shack) and wire a stereo cable. I play it through a TM-D1000 mixer which has reverb, compression and sweepable eq. I had to experiment a little with the mic placement to minimize pick noise but the setup sounds great and doesn't cost much. The AT831b is available at zZounds.

Back