I need tone help!!!

randyosbourne

alright so this is my situation. i have a Marshall JCM 900, all tube, (a dicontinued verson if it makes a diffrence) and a a very small "peddal board" in the line up i have a home made OD peddal next is my Boss Metal Zone peddal then boss chorus ensemble then a noise reduction peddal (my house isn't grounded so alot of buzz) so im stubbern and im trying to make my metal zone peddal work with my marshall and so far im stuck. i can make it sound fatter but it still sounds tooo flat or to much bass but as soon as i reduse the bass (im talking on the amp EQ) even alittle it become WAY flat so can i make it fatter (like the lamb of god sound) im soooo stuck. ANY help would be apprciated. any spicific setting to the peddal or amp EQ ANYTHING HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i know this isnt any help and im sorry for that but i have to ask,

why in the world are you using a metal zone with a jcm??

i got agree with ^ u should be able to get a sick distorted tone right out of ur JCM. i would put anything infront of that setup to mess with the overall tone.:D nice amp btw

well i mean i trun down the gain all the way, and then the master volume to about 3 or 4 and then run the mt - 2 MZ. and i only run a crappy distortion because im looking to get a nice solid nu metal sound (ie. lamb of god and kataklysm ect...), but im gona get like an MXR distortion or a metal muff to work with later, but for now this is what i have, thus why im doing it lol AH im stuborn and wont give up untill im sure i have something xD.

Will Adler from Lamb of God (which is no way in hell "Nu Metal", BTW) gets his sound from Mesa Mk4 and Mk5 amps, real honest to god tube amps. Not a cheapo, sub $100 distortion pedal.

Why waste your money on a tube amp only to use a crappy distortion pedal? I never understood this. All you are doing is making your amp sound like a cheap solid state. If you use a distortion pedal to make distortion it is going to sound like crappy distortion pedal. End of story. The sad thing is, you have the ability right in front of you, with your JCM900 to get a nice metal tone. Do what everyone else is telling you. Use an overdrive pedal like a TS or boss SD-1 to push your amp, not to make distortion. You will get nice tight, heavy, modern sounding distortion that sounds like the real deal, not a crappy pedal.

The Tubescreamer trick is used a lot of the time to act more as an initial eq (cleans up the low end) as opposed to pushing the head harder.... but it works for both. Granted you probably still won't get the sound you are hearing on album. Metal albums are almost always re-amped so you are hearing multiple layers of amps, which create that super thick tone.

If I had your amp I would melt all my pedals down into a big plastic/metal brick. Except maybe the tuner! The whole reason pedals were invented is because some people couldn't afford beautiful amps.

Back