i hate my vox

i suppose it's possible i'm overloading the mic, but i didn't think so. i stand back from it a ways...and on those tracks you're hearing the perception 200 anyway, which has some outrageous spl rating (144 i think w/ pad engaged, which i do use)...

i've thought a lot of buying the sm7 or re20, but i'm worried that i'll be just as disappointed with them as i am with other dynamics on voice. :(

I'll do some more listening later. It could just be the POD treatment, as you say.

RE-20 is useful for just about anything I point it at. It does eat gain though, so caveat emptor.

I really like my TC-Helicon Vocal pedals. I have the correct and the create. The preamps in them sound great. They will also have a dry and a wet out so you can track both at the same time and then mix to taste.
I bought them for live use but end up using them to track vox all the time.
I don't like the lack of control over the parameters but I'm always pleased with the sound. Those are the preamps we used for the overheads when you were helping me dial in the drums.
You are welcome to try them out if you want. I have a few mics you could try out too. I've been loving the ACM-200 on my voice recently. Your voice is kinda similar to mine so it might work for you too.

I've been planning on going with the RNP SM7 or RE20 combo myself when I get the funds. The good thing about going that route is that if you hate them you can easily get your money back when you sell them.

that, my friend, is the highly regarded mapex black panther premium 6.5" snare. a lot of ppl around here use it, and i absolutely LOVE that snare. i have a little eq applied to that track, but no reverb, no anything else. thanks for asking! :)

Fantastic sound.

Thanks,
-Barrett

Regarding the Voicemaster Pro - I would suggest you consider some of the other options mentioned. It may be best to keep the signal flow as simple as possible.

I own several mic pres and a few "channel strips" and the more I work with them the more I'm convinced that a channel strip (such as the Voicemaster is not the way to go.

The cleaner and simpler the signal path, the better - and when possible, mic -> pre ->to recodring medium with no other processing (eq, compression, etc) is always the best option.

Channel strips (like the Voicemaster) offer a lot of processing options...and the more I use the gear, the less I choose to use all those options. In most cases the quality of the processing is not as good as stand alone units and the complexity of trying to dial in all the processing (eq, compression, etc.) can often cause a worse sound rather than a better sound.

I listened...and you have that type of voice that would use an SM7...like Eddie Vedder....I wonder what mic he is using...

BTW...Im selling a DPS16 if you ever wish to step up from that dps 12

I listened...and you have that type of voice that would use an SM7...like Eddie Vedder....I wonder what mic he is using...

BTW...Im selling a DPS16 if you ever wish to step up from that dps 12

lmao! i can't tell if you're joking about the akai or not, but i think it's hilarious! that damn akai is such a pain in my ass, but it works, so i spend money elsewhere. whenever i do upgrade, i'm going the computer route. i'm thinking of interfacing with a digital mixer to keep the same control surface/mixer feel of the hardware daw, but that's for a totally different discussion far far in the future.

like i said, i've often thought of getting an sm7 or re20, but...well, now i'm still completely undecided as to what to shoot for. i guess that's better than being convinced to buy the wrong thing, no? progress! :D

I really like my TC-Helicon Vocal pedals. I have the correct and the create. The preamps in them sound great. They will also have a dry and a wet out so you can track both at the same time and then mix to taste.
I bought them for live use but end up using them to track vox all the time.
I don't like the lack of control over the parameters but I'm always pleased with the sound. Those are the preamps we used for the overheads when you were helping me dial in the drums.
You are welcome to try them out if you want. I have a few mics you could try out too. I've been loving the ACM-200 on my voice recently. Your voice is kinda similar to mine so it might work for you too.

I've been planning on going with the RNP SM7 or RE20 combo myself when I get the funds. The good thing about going that route is that if you hate them you can easily get your money back when you sell them.

yeah dude, if i could borrow a couple things to audition that would be sweet, thanks! next time i'm at dave's let me know if it's cool to abscond with a couple things. much gratitude amigo.

hey supercreep!

what about the threeq? i've read some pretty glowing reviews of it both here and elsewhere. think it might help any? the twinq is way out of my range. :(

like i said, i've often thought of getting an sm7 or re20, but...well, now i'm still completely undecided as to what to shoot for. i guess that's better than being convinced to buy the wrong thing, no? progress! :D

Id definately go for a used SM7...the EV costs alot more.

yeah dude, if i could borrow a couple things to audition that would be sweet, thanks! next time i'm at dave's let me know if it's cool to abscond with a couple things. much gratitude amigo.

Sure thing dude. Lately I only use my gear for about 4 hours on Sunday so you could borrow and play all week if you wanted. Nothing I own is gonna break the bank either so if you find something that works you can definitely afford it.;)

The real question here is if you get a SM7.............can I borrow it?:D

what about the threeq? i've read some pretty glowing reviews of it both here and elsewhere. think it might help any? the twinq is way out of my range. :(

I don't own one, but I imagine it's the same Burr-brown IC based preamp in the TwinQ but without EQ, compression, and digital output.

It has Compression and eq but it is single channel and doesn't have digital out.
Not sure about the preamp.

^^this^^

and i don't even need the digital output! i do know the burr-brown ics are the same (this is explicitly in the description), so i'm guessing the comp and eq isn't quite as nice, since the oneq is a single-channel version of the twinq and it's fairly pricey as well.

i may go the threeq route.

btw, yonce--thanks again for the offer. i'd really like to give that tc a try. and yes, in the unlikely event that i get an sm7 you're more than welcome to try it out. :D

Back