I hate to do it but: a good pre in the 0-$400 range :o

I switched from the RNP to a Fearn VT-2. The difference between the "budget" pre's to the RNP was much bigger than the jump from the RNP to the Fearn. The law of diminishing returns ya know! :D

Jesus, that is a jump! haha

After listening to those samples you posted I noticed how much my cymbals are missing that fullness. I'm assuming you used the Neumas for OH mics. Or did you have something else at the time?

Jesus, that is a jump! haha

After listening to those samples you posted I noticed how much my cymbals are missing that fullness. I'm assuming you used the Neumas for OH mics. Or did you have something else at the time?

The Nuemans almost never get used actually. I use the Gefell UM92's. Although, I have used MXL 603's with the RNP and had pretty good results. Everything that get's upgraded is generally pretty small increments. The biggest changes come from bettering the source, and the room. Also working on your mixing skills........

Gear is not as important as one would think from reading on this site. Sure, it makes a difference, just not as big as you would think from all the discussions. And, just to clarify, when I say the RNP destroys anything by Maudio, it is in perspective of how much a pre really effects the sound. The jump from a DMP3 to a Fearn VT-2 is not overwhelming. Especially if you have a bad source, room problems, lack of micing or mixing skills, etc.....

Here is a live recording with MXL 603's in an XY through a RNP. The drums had the kick mic and the OH's, that's all. They were in a small room, so there are some room issues, but you should be able to hear the openess of the cymbals. Excuse the performances, we were all indulging in holiday cheer........

edit - a pic from that night -

bruce.jpg

The weird guitar sound in the earlier part of the song is the high E getting stuck in the pickup, so he switches guitars when everyone drops out but the drums, and you can hear a 1 year old "singing". :D

Last edited:
RNP.. I have 4, they are stellar. I have 2 ART Pro Channels that don't really get used much. Took out three of the NOS 1960 Telefunkens (i loaded in one ART) and dumped them in my vintage Marshall JMP100 .. I am thinking the ARTs, the Marshall and I are much happier now ;)

Here is a live recording with MXL 603's in an XY through a RNP. The drums had the kick mic and the OH's, that's all. They were in a small room, so there are some room issues, but you should be able to hear the openess of the cymbals. Excuse the performances, we were all indulging in holiday cheer........

edit - a pic from that night -

bruce.jpg

The weird guitar sound in the earlier part of the song is the high E getting stuck in the pickup, so he switches guitars when everyone drops out but the drums, and you can hear a 1 year old "singing". :D

HAHA nice man. I remember seeing that picture on your site before. Good poster too! I've been looking for one of those XY mic holders but i havent found a place to buy one. Where did you get yours?

HAHA nice man. I remember seeing that picture on your site before. Good poster too! I've been looking for one of those XY mic holders but i havent found a place to buy one. Where did you get yours?

Guitar center - it's like $5. Go where they sell the strings and ask for a stereo mic bar.

First off, I still don't think the ART is a full tube pre-amp. I have never heard of a true tube amp anywhere near that cheap new or one with a Tube warmth LED meter.......

As for the component comparison, there is more to it than that. I'm not gonna waste time explaining all that - just use the search function.

Lastly, the listening test you provided was with $10 mics. So, I guess if you are gonna plug a $10 mic into the pre, then heck, I wouldn't even waste my money on a DMP3.

I have used nearly all of the pre's mentioned, and then some. A lot more in fact. I am not a believer in all the preamp hype. Not by any stretch. In the grand scheme of things, they are not nearly as important as they are made out to be on internet forums. However, better pre's do help. Especially if you have good mics, converters, and a good room (as well a good source). IMHO the RNP beat out every cheap pre I have ever heard. It wasn't until a got a MUCH more expensive "clean" pre that I sold it. It isn't perfect, but if you can't make a great recording with it, you are doing something wrong. Not everybody needs a pre as good as the RNP. Most on this site wouldn't probably even hear the difference thru their crappy converters in an untreated room after they had their guitar amp cranked to 11 for the past three hours. This makes "upgrading" to an ART pre even that much more pointless though.

Nick's work is ready for a better pre if you ask me............. :D

I choose the RNP over the API or the s20 about 50% of the time.

What makes the RNP special is what it dosent add.....color. (at least not to my ears)

Its a neutral pre. Sometimes i just want to hear the mic/source cleanly amplified with no colory bs in between. The RNP can get this done fantastically.

-YMMV

Chameleon Labs 7602

Save up some more and get the 7602 from Chameleon Labs. Love them. A bit out of your price range listed but I never cut spending on pres. That's why I'm always broke.

Or an RNP from FMR audio

Back