I hate to do it but: a good pre in the 0-$400 range :o

Nick The Man

Ive been searching the board and cant find any of the millions of threads that answer my question... so i figured id ask again:D

From most of what I've read about in this price range ART pres seem very popular. What are some other options?

Thanks guys

indeed, the mpa gold is a nice unit. I have one of those, and it does the job rather well... however, I'm tracking to tape... so all the coloring I need comes from the multitracker... As such, I've discovered that the XDR pres in my mackie mixer sound just as nice...

as far as hitting your computer with it, I don't really have the experience to really help, but I do have the unit and it doesn't suck...

........what?

He meant that he's using it with an ATR, so his advice may not be useful to someone using a computer. The term "hitting the tape" means to record something to tape... when he said "hitting your computer with it," he didn't mean you'd phyically hit your computer with the unit.

If you are looking for good preamps that are transparent, you can't beat the DMP3. Another option: a Mackie mixing board with numerous preamp channels in one box.

I've owned an ART, and they are very decent also. No reason to spend more, IMO.

Well I did'nt realize that there was a digital ART MPA and a plain ART MPA. I bid on one on ebay and realized it is the digital verison. I also noticed that this one is $100 more than the plain one.

are they the same preamp? just one has digial capabilities?

well...as ive heard so many times, the dmp 3 is good...and i've heard its older sibling, the Tampa is also said to be great. If you can find the tampa, i'd say go for it...the arts seem pretty nice...i've heard that its bad to go tube at a cheaper price, so try solid state pres for the range ur in.

well...as ive heard so many times, the dmp 3 is good...and i've heard its older sibling, the Tampa is also said to be great. If you can find the tampa, i'd say go for it...the arts seem pretty nice...i've heard that its bad to go tube at a cheaper price, so try solid state pres for the range ur in.

Thats a good point Tom. Shit, I had a Tampa like a year ago but i didn't know what the hell i was doing so i sold it on here.

Back