I hate to do it but: a good pre in the 0-$400 range :o

I admit, i have this stupid habits of reading about this stuff on messege board, when i was looking through the possible cheap pres, i stumble across the RNP, so i went on like 4-5 different message board searching "RNP" in the tittle, lol, i basically went through hundreds of threat for comparsion of the RNP, and until this day, the only time i've heard about what components is inside the RNP was on 1 topic, unfortunately the topic got deleted for whatever reason i do not know. If i remember correctly it uses the INS163 amp (or something similar to that name, i don't have photographic memory lol, i can't remember all these stuff).

The DMP3 uses the Burr-brown INA163 opamp. I don't recall hearing that the RNP does.

The DMP3 uses the Burr-brown INA163 opamp. I don't recall hearing that the RNP does.

oh, i must be mistaken, i don't really remember, and for some reason INA163 pops in my head. Just to show you, many recommend the RNP but not a whole lot knows what's actually in there.

ears is a very subjective matter, it's not consistence across the board....
No and neither are opamps in the sense that two different preamps using the same opamp might not necessarily sound the same. It depends how it's utilised in the circuit, other components used, PSU design etc. Even the same opamp made by different manufacturers can sound different in the same circuit, (hence the penchant for Burr brown chips in recent years).

So other than the opinions of others, our ears are all we have really, you're not going to know how something's going to sound just by looking at the parts list (although it might give you a rough idea).

many recommend the RNP but not a whole lot knows what's actually in there.
Hearing the thing in action is a lot more important than knowing what's inside the box.

Some "special" bits of gear are essentially just some cheap parts in a box (DAV BG-1, Neve Portico stuff, Nightpro 3D-EQ etc).

the Eurika is 300 new at GC, what i've heard is that it's got a huge mark up, i decided to call them up and ask for price, and they told me 300.
oh ok, then it was about $300 that i got it for, it's almost been 2yrs since i had it, but yeah dat mark-up price for it was kinda discouraging for me, especially being that i'm only recording vocals...but it was recommended to me by an Engineer vet of over 15+yrs plus worked on alot of my favorite Hip-Hop albums in the 90's......

its pretty "top-shelf" in it's price range from what i hear, but i can't compare it to any other analog equiptment cause i'm primarily an artist and mix my stuff when i have to which is rare, but i'm inviting the fun and challenge of it all!

well what do you guys think... should I get a pre or not? With the octane and tascam is it worth it? I really can't think of much else to buy at this point... and I'm always looking for something new.

well what do you guys think... should I get a pre or not? With the octane and tascam is it worth it? I really can't think of much else to buy at this point... and I'm always looking for something new.

That's an extremely dangerous statement :D. Seriously though, don't buy just for the sake of buying. Your Octane should be more than capable of delivering some seriously kickass recordings. I'd sit on the money for awhile. Will a new mic pre be the difference between your next recorded tune being superb or sucking something fierce? I doubt it, unless it's that inspiring just having a new piece of gear. Buy a new mic, replace those stands that are sagging a bit, buy a little tube amp, take a lady friend out to dinner, I could think of quite a few things I would do with the money... but hey, it's not my money.

That's an extremely dangerous statement :D. Seriously though, don't buy just for the sake of buying. Your Octane should be more than capable of delivering some seriously kickass recordings. I'd sit on the money for awhile. Will a new mic pre be the difference between your next recorded tune being superb or sucking something fierce? I doubt it, unless it's that inspiring just having a new piece of gear. Buy a new mic, replace those stands that are sagging a bit, buy a little tube amp, take a lady friend out to dinner, I could think of quite a few things I would do with the money... but hey, it's not my money.

Hey... your right... your right on haha. Seriously, thanks! And actually I haven't used the Octane for an offical recording yet, so that will be considered my new pre for now.

I think I will replace some stands and buy some cabling.

Hey... your right... your right on haha. Seriously, thanks! And actually I haven't used the Octane for an offical recording yet, so that will be considered my new pre for now.

I think I will replace some stands and buy some cabling.

No problem. The sluttery (word?) around here can get pretty rediculous. I sat in on a session at a local studio, everything done through an SSL 4056 G+, Vintech Neve clones, and Avalon 737's... and honestly, everything sounded like crap. There's far more important things that go into making a great (or terrible) recording than mic pres. Figure those out and you'll be set.

Good call NTM (players gear most important)...all this tech stuff gave me a headache, sorry I'm not an electrical type person. Got the Ghost, 24 mic pres and a Eureka, sounds good, real nice for DI a bass guitar...sometimes a tube in the Microphone helps out just as much as a tube in the mic-pre...and the RNP, I use the RNC, it works real well, don't have a clue whats inside of it..maybe the mic pre quality sounds as good, dunno. And.. in full agreement that your ears are the best judge of any of 'em. Have fun!

Yeah I know, I don't really know much about it myself. Sounds/looks like you got a real nice set-up there. I figured i wouldn't buy any compressors because I have them all as plug-ins, but maybe outboard compressors sound better (most likley), but the lug-insget the job done for me. I don't do live sound ethier so I wouldn't need them for that ethier. I'm actually trying to think what else I could tack on to my order of cables and accesories. I know there is some stuff I need in the studio I just can't think of what it is.

While there are some decent pres under the $400 range, most of the ones I've used have walwarts and I stopped using them for live recording applications. I'd look for a used Eureka or Six Q, which you can easily pick up for under $400 on ebay. They would be my choices in that price range.

With the RNP people simply claims "well, it's great, stands with the best...." blah blah, but people fail to tell why, and that's not very informative.

I think you are not listening. People are telling you why. You are focused on what's inside. It does matter, but the opamp is only a small part of the equation. Myself, I don't have a single pre with a single opamp in them anywhere. All fully discrete. That's the biggest step up. :D

As far as the RNP, I certainly wouldn't take one persons opinion, but as you said, it CONSTANTLY gets rave reviews. Pair it with a good mic and converter, and it will open up your sound immensely. Of course, your source must be good first..........

Preamps are not gonna make that big of a difference until you get everything else right. And honestly, very few people on this board need to worry about it, but it seems to be the biggest topic of debate. I don't really understand that..........

Edit - Here is an example of mackie pre's and Maudio converters on the drum OH's. Just focus on the cymbals.

Now, same drummer, same cymbals, done in a BIG hurry so the quality is not what it could be, but you get the idea -

Now better recording, listen to the cymbals again -

Last edited:
Myself, I don't have a single pre with a single opamp in them anywhere. All fully discrete. That's the biggest step up. :D
Not all opamps are IC. And I don't see why an op ampless rack of pres would be particularly desirable, you're missing out on some nice flavours there (Neve, API, Hardy etc).

Still, I've heard your work and you seem to be doing pretty damn well with what you have. :D

Not all opamps are IC. And I don't see why an op ampless rack of pres would be particularly desirable, you're missing out on some nice flavours there (Neve, API, Hardy etc).

Still, I've heard your work and you seem to be doing pretty damn well with what you have. :D

You know, I think I am mistaken. I do have API pre's that have the 2520 Op amp. Oops. I thought all "fully discrete" preamps were free from IC's. Now I am a bit confused. :confused:

I think you are not listening. People are telling you why. You are focused on what's inside. It does matter, but the opamp is only a small part of the equation. Myself, I don't have a single pre with a single opamp in them anywhere. All fully discrete. That's the biggest step up. :D

As far as the RNP, I certainly wouldn't take one persons opinion, but as you said, it CONSTANTLY gets rave reviews. Pair it with a good mic and converter, and it will open up your sound immensely. Of course, your source must be good first..........

Preamps are not gonna make that big of a difference until you get everything else right. And honestly, very few people on this board need to worry about it, but it seems to be the biggest topic of debate. I don't really understand that..........

Edit - Here is an example of mackie pre's and Maudio converters on the drum OH's. Just focus on the cymbals.

Now, same drummer, same cymbals, done in a BIG hurry so the quality is not what it could be, but you get the idea -

Now better recording, listen to the cymbals again -

Damn, thats some good sounding stuff man! The comparison is obvious that the RNP is much better, were both of those tracks mixed the same. Also, you said you sold your RNP a while back, that do you use now?

You know, I think I am mistaken. I do have API pre's that have the 2520 Op amp. Oops. I thought all "fully discrete" preamps were free from IC's. Now I am a bit confused. :confused:
Like I said not all opamps are ICs.

A fully discrete pre may contain fully discrete opamps (like your APIs). If you cracked those 2520's open (not that I suggest you do! :D) you'd find a bunch of separate, full sized components, i.e. discrete.

Damn, thats some good sounding stuff man! The comparison is obvious that the RNP is much better, were both of those tracks mixed the same. Also, you said you sold your RNP a while back, that do you use now?

I switched from the RNP to a Fearn VT-2. The difference between the "budget" pre's to the RNP was much bigger than the jump from the RNP to the Fearn. The law of diminishing returns ya know! :D

Like I said not all opamps are ICs.

A fully discrete pre may contain fully discrete opamps (like your APIs). If you cracked those 2520's open (not that I suggest you do! :D) you'd find a bunch of separate, full sized components, i.e. discrete.

Ahhhhhh. OK, so I don't have any IC's anywhere. Ooops. :eek:

Thanks for the clarification!

Back