I can't sing

Easto

I know there's no cure for it but I was wondering what vocal processors I should be looking at to help me along. Mind you... I really mean it, I can't sing and I do need some serious help. I did have some vocal training in college as part of a music major program and I do understand that there are many excersises that I can do to help me along but.. Are there any vocal processors at a resonable price, under $500, that I should be auditioning?

Thanks
Easto

easto try these tips.
1. youve realised your shortcomings BUT make use of that. neil young isnt the greatest singer but he developed a STYLE to overcome other factors.. in summary try and develope a STYLE . something different.
2. before singing , play a synth line that is accurate to the notes you will be singing to. this will act as a singing guide. ive done this with poor vocallists and it can work quite well.
3. read up on breathing techniques on the net and in books and how to develope power in your voice. learn about breath control and breathing from the stomach.
4. try and sing your lines several times. and then cut and paste using the best vocal phrases. sing the lead vocal twice. this can thicken weak vocals.
all the best and i think if you use these tips and develope your unique style youll be further ahead.
all the best.

TC Helicon Voice One... vocal doubling, pitch correction, reverbs, and 4 harmonies... $700 new... might find one used for $500. Love mine...

but it's like air freshener in a bathroom... still smells like someone shit on a pile of roses

I know this is a negative view but you guys shouldnt encourage someone into spending money on gear that isn't going to totally solve the problem.
Easto admits "that he really can't sing". Unfortunately the only thing that is going to really help that problem is practice. Even with tons of work it may not be enough. I can't sing for shit and even with all the tools mentioned as well as expensive voice training theres probably little chance that I could become a great singer. It might be possible to work my voice into something slightly passable but if it were just a matter of training everyone would be great singers.
We all know that Auto-Tune still sounds like "auto-tune" even on good singers who just need a little help here and there. I can't imagine attempting to use it on a performance that is completely off, unless of course you like the whole Cher Effect.
Im not out to be negative just being realistic. If you honestly can't sing, no processor is going to fix it man. Your money would be better spent torwards some vocal training in my opinion.

get a friend who can actually sing, and pay him $10 for every session.... :)

Seriously, I won't record anyone who can't sing properly....

Easto, I also suffer from having a poor quality voice. I also had a Helicon whatevertheheckthey'recalled things and it was completely worthless. If you have a sour note it would be cool, but if the whole thing is off, forget any processor unless you want to sound like an android.

One thing that has helped me a great deal is to change tunings. I do not know if you play guitar, but tuning down a half step has helped many singers over the years. For me, I actually had to go UP a half step (FA#D#G#CF low to high) after I learned that I have to avoid key of E at all costs, D is not much better. so by raising my pitch a half step when I play and E chord, it is actually an F which is my easiest key to song in.
I learned this by singing to the radio, some songs seemed easier than others, then I would find out what key the easiers songs were in and I noticed an unmistakeable trend.

I'm still no superstar singer, but I can and have handled lead vocals in a live setting (but they were drunk). As an oddity though, I have found that I can sing with others and do a lot of background singing in my band. I have no trouble matching others and even doing some harmony, I only sing lead on one song,, it's in F.

Practice, Practice, Practice,.. I am 0ver 40 and have always wanted to be a singer,, I am twice as good as I was 5 years ago.. but still a long ways from where I wish I was.

I say give it up. :D

Not everyone was meant to be a farmer. Not everyone was meant to be a mechanic. And not everyone was meant to sing.

I, for example, wasn't meant to be a drummer. No, I pretty much suck at that. In fact, I suck so bad, that I feel it is my moral obligation not to torture the rest of the world with my failed, half-witted attempts at it.

So I just don't play them. Instead, I play bass, because I can do that pretty good.

You should take a lesson from guys like me.

Thanks for all the input. As I had stated... in college I was a music major and one of the requirements was to take a sight singing course. And yes the training does work. I was able to improve my voice but not to any passable degree. Since this was posted in "The Rack" forum I was just trying to see if any of those vocal processors I see for sale are really going to do anything for me. And from a few of the posts above I will take that as a "No".

chessrock said:
I, for example, wasn't meant to be a drummer. No, I pretty much suck at that. In fact, I suck so bad, that I feel it is my moral obligation not to torture the rest of the world with my failed, half-witted attempts at it.

I wish you would tell my bass player that each week at practice when he feels the need to beat the hell out of my drums ;)

I agree that developing a style is important. If you sing out of "key" then yes there is no processor that can help. If your voice is weak, boring, or you are just plain uncomfortable with your voice than I would recommend the TC Helicon Voice Prism or the +.

Practice helps. It also depends on what you are doing. Are you recording a demo? Are you just putting your songs to CD for history sake? Are you just having fun? Are you making a career out of things?

I also agree - some folks just can do certain things! But if you try hard enough there is not much you can't do!

Don't give up, you may be able to improve your singing. Record a track, Ttake two months of singing lessons, rerecord the track. any better = keep training, no difference=buy a bass

chessrock said:
I say give it up. :D

Not everyone was meant to be a farmer. Not everyone was meant to be a mechanic. And not everyone was meant to sing.

So I just don't play them. Instead, I play bass, because I can do that pretty good.

You should take a lesson from guys like me.

Personally I think this is like comparing apples and oranges, certain instruments require a higher level of proficiency in a live and/or recording situation. Which is why I think the drummer is the most expendable, being the backbone of a group there is no room for technical error, where as a vocalist can be technically horrible and call it a style. ie: Jim morrison, Bob dylan, Jimi Hendrix, and as previously mentioned Neil Young, etc. The operative word here is "TECHNICALLY" horrible for all that are ready to roast me. They obviously all excelled in the writing/arranging, the playing and performance side of things. But IMHO, it was their music that fit their voice first and not the other way around.

So what I'm saying is write music that fits your voice.

Clit Torres said:
Personally I think this is like comparing apples and oranges, certain instruments require a higher level of proficiency in a live and/or recording situation. Which is why I think the drummer is the most expendable, being the backbone of a group there is no room for technical error, where as a vocalist can be technically horrible and call it a style. ie: Jim morrison, Bob dylan, Jimi Hendrix, and as previously mentioned Neil Young, etc. The operative word here is "TECHNICALLY" horrible for all that are ready to roast me. They obviously all excelled in the writing/arranging, the playing and performance side of things. But IMHO, it was their music that fit their voice first and not the other way around.

So what I'm saying is write music that fits your voice.

IMHO: The above-mentioned people could sing. They hit the correct notes at the correct times when they sang/sing. It's just that they did/do not have a great singing voice. I believe a person who can't sing is someone who is always flat or sharp or totally off key. I took piano/singing lessons years ago (one week piano/one week singing) and to my complete disbelief, I was told by my instructor that I could sing :confused: . I can hit the notes. I just need to improve or work on the sound of my voice. If you can’t hit the notes when doing what manning1 suggested with the synth then maybe you can’t sing. And yes your voice is just like any other instrument, you must practice as you would a guitar or piano.

Ya, those guys were great singers IMO, it's not about being an opera star, it's rock and roll. Well, maybe you record opera, I really don't know, but I doubt it :)

To try and stay topical, maybe you can improve your monitoring chain? It's harder to sing if you can't hear things well, espcially for those of us <raises hand> that aren't vocal virtuosos.

A friend of mine just purchased the TC Helicon Voiceworks and his singing has improved dramatically. I think it is part man and part machine in that he appears more comfortable with the singing experience which has been inspired by the machine. The effects are great and the pitch correction is fairly transparent depending on how close to the appropriate pitch you're singing. The pros use pitch correction but it is only used when an 'off 'note is the exception and not the norm. The pitch correction technology was only intended as a supplement and not a transformation. Think of it as a high end digital camera; you only get out of it what you put into it.

JohnnyMan said:
IMHO: The above-mentioned people could sing. They hit the correct notes at the correct times when they sang/sing. It's just that they did/do not have a great singing voice.

not the point of the forum, but jimi hendrix nor neil young couldn't sing. they had a nice quality, but they were all over the place. both were excellent tho and had lots of vocal character.

but back to the point (kind of) - 2 years ago, i couldnt sing for sh*t. now, i can sing ok, but im no expert. ive tried autotune, etc, etc and just dont like 'em. so i make the point of just doing what i do, playing my guitar, getting other people to sing the 'proper' stuff, whilst i just use my voice as a demo for them. YES you can improve IMMENSELY, but i think you need to have some character there to start with.
i enjoy singing, but im just never gonna be jon bon jovi or Bono. autotune will make the odd problems sound ok, but will make a sh*t or average singer sound like a robot, as the whole point of things like that is to use them sparsely on a vocal line, not for the whole thing.

Back