Humm and Buzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

me-crazy-ac

I am not sure this is the right forum, but here goes.

As musicians we all have dealt with the old hum in rack gear etc. Is there anything that will help other than noise gate?

Yes, but you have to find out where it's coming from first.

Let's see a description if your signal path. Also, what is plugged in where (AC power). There's as many fixes for hum as there are causes. It can be as simple as a patch cord replacement, or a hard as rewiring a house.

mixer,compresor,bbe,multi effects unit,computer.

For monitors I am coming from the speaker out on the puter to a headphone amp which send juice to my headphones and speakers.

I have one ext cord coming from a wall outlet powering 4 plug bars which power all the gear.

Thx for any help.

You don't to connect ANYTHING to speaker outs EXCEPT SPEAKERS........

To run a signal to your headphone amp, you need to be taking the LINE OUT of your computer's soundcard to the LINE IN on your headphone amp.

The headphone thing could be your problem.

After you fix the headphone problem, start at the furthest point from the computer (whatever is plugged into your mixer), and unplug one thing at a time (I mean audio cables). When the hum disappears, you've found your problem. From there, you can try changing the last patch cord you unplugged. If that doesnt help, and the unit's power cord has a 3 prong (grounded) plug get a 2 to 3 prong adapter (everybody has at least one of these floating around the house) and plug the unit in using that.

Wire routing is another issue. Most people like to organize their wires in nice neat little bundles. Looks real nice. Horrible for audio. Keep your audio cables and power cables seperate. If they need to cross paths, do it at 90 degrees. Don't run them along side each other.

Computer monitors are also known to induce noise in the audio chain. If your mixer, effects, guitars, mic, etc.. are close to your computer and/or monitor, try simply moving them further away. Also bear in mind that you will almost never get rid of hum or buzz generated from single coil guitar pickups.

Before every connect/disconnect/move, make sure you turn off any amplifiers or preamps. You don't want to get any loud pops as you're plugging and unplugging.

If you find a particular peice of gear is creating noise and none of the above works to get rid of it, there are a few more options, though they get a bit more involved. Try these first and see what happens.

My rack use to hum. After much trial and error, I ended up taking advise I got early on, but refused to even consider. Pull the damn ground plug off the main power plug. Worked on my Marshall too. Didn't think that bitch would ever shut up.

Toker41 said:
Pull the damn ground plug off the main power plug.
Very dangerous "quick-fix" -- if something goes wrong, current will flow through the path of least resistance, which is usually a human in contact with the gear.

Much better is to find the offending piece of equipment and isolate it.

Don't ever cut the ground off of any AC pwr cords. If you ever 'had' to lift a ground while on location or something, use one of those ground-lift type adaptors. But, never cut the ground off any AC power cords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back