How tweakable is the Virtualizer?

Atwork

Can the reverbs etc. on the Virtualizer actually be edited like on a Midiverb or are they just alterable like on a MPX100 or Nanoverb?

Also what's the quality of the Reverbs, Delays and Chorus's like, especially when used with vocals and keyboards?

Thanks.

PS. Input from anyone who's used a Midiverb 4 and a Virtualizer and can compare especially welcome.

It is useful for delays, maybe choruses, but the reverbs are pretty much crap........

And the adjustment flexibility is not too precise -- alows only 5 mS incremental changes to delay times.... not to mention that the entire interface is COMPLETELY ridiculous to use.... every patch has different parameters and the parameters are controlled by different buttons on the front...........

I set it up for some specific delays times and presets and never touch other than that....

It really isn't worth the effort, I only use it at all 'cos it's in the rack..........

I don't recommend it at all from either a usability or sound quality standpoint.

Bruce

I also own a Behringer Virtualizer...I agree, the front panel settings are a real pain...if you really want to control and tweak the settings do it via the MIDI interface using a PC. This thing is fantastic! Lush reverbs...cool harmonizer...and a lot more good FX. BTW...the reverbs sound very good...clear and natural.

Once you have edited your FX via the MIDI you can store them into the Virtualizer's memory and recall them later using the jog wheel...the PC isn't needed. This is a very nice feature.

I have used the Virtualizer on many recordings...low noise, nice array of different FX. The latest Virtualizer is 24bit...for $129.

Get it...you won't be sorry!

MaxDB

I'm sorry, a matter of opinion I suppose, but the reverbs are hideous - metallic and harsh...

If you need reverb, the Virtualizer is NOT the way to go.... as I said, the delays, chorus and vocoder are usable, but not much else.........

Bruce

I guess it is a matter of opinion...but I have heard "natural" reverb in real settings... I'd say it's much closer to real then "hideous - metallic and harsh... " Maybe you got a lemon unit Blue Bear, cause mine sounds very natural! As with any FX unit...extreme settings can yield some bad, un-natural sounding results.

BTW...what DO you use for your reverbs Blue Bear?

As far as editing like a MidiVerb the Virtualizer features full MIDI capability which allows real-time parameter control and program selection. The MidiVerb has 128 user storage areas where as the Virtualizer only has 100.

MaxDB

hey bruce, or anyone else for that matter? could you suggest another reverb unit around the same price range? i was also thinking about the virtualizer, but i think tweekability(?) is a big issue

sorry to butt in atwork, but i think this might be useful info for us all

dr.colossus said:
hey bruce, or anyone else for that matter? could you suggest another reverb unit around the same price range? i was also thinking about the virtualizer, but i think tweekability(?) is a big issue

For that price range and tweekability, how about the ZOOM RFX-2000? :)

MaximumDB said:
Maybe you got a lemon unit Blue Bear, cause mine sounds very natural! As with any FX unit...extreme settings can yield some bad, un-natural sounding results.
No it's not a lemon... it's the way it sounds! I've been at this for a while, so I think I know the difference between good reverb and not-so-good reverb!!! :rolleyes:

I'm sorry -- I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but the Vitualizer is NOT an example of good-sounding reverb... those verbs are harsh - plain and simple....

MaximumDB said:
BTW...what DO you use for your reverbs Blue Bear?
I use a Lexicon LXP-15, a pair of Lexi MPX500s, an Intellifex LTD, and pair of Yamaha SPX-90s.

Somewhere in the bottom of the rack is a cheap-ass ART FXR (from the late 80s) that has the most metallic reverb I've ever heard -- the Behringer is only a slight step up from that - which is why it's been relegated to delay and vocoder use.

dr.colossus said:
hey bruce, or anyone else for that matter? could you suggest another reverb unit around the same price range?
I would suggest searching for a used Lexicon LXP-1 or LXP-5 -- those were very nice sounding 1/2-rack Lexicon units. Second-hand they probably come in only slightly above the Virtualizer's price point.

Bruce

Just so you don't think Bruce is some crazed and deaf degenerate, I second everything he has said about the Virtualizer. I'm not a Behringer basher, and I'm not into jumping on boats, but I've had the Virt, and it's junk. If you get it, you'll find ways to put it to use, which is fine, but eventually you'll hear a descent rever unit and realize yours is not one. You will then commit some petty crime to fund a Lexicon or Yamaha reverb unit, and find yourself rotting in a backwater jail cell, staring at the word "shit" etched into the wall. Hold off on the Virtualizer. That's $130 you could put toward something that will sound much better, and keep you out of jail.

I also have to agree with Cuzzin' Brucie on his assessment of the
Virt'Lzr! I own 1 also, and I do like the delays and chorus, but with it's front panel features operating in some wierd way, your'e better off with a Lex ! Besides the delays and chorus The wildest
'Verb patch is the "Cathedral" (Patch#1) which is a cross between a spring verb and a plate!!

I am not trying to question the validity of Blue Bear or any one else's credentials. I was only trying to answer the original post.

It sounded to me like Atwork wanted a comparison of <$200 MIDI controlled FX devices...like the Virtualizer, the MPX-100 and the MidiVerb 4.

Atwork asked "Can the reverbs etc. on the Virtualizer actually be edited like on a Midiverb...?"

My answer was...Yes, very editable via the MIDI interface. I agree...don't use the front panel!

"Also what's the quality of the Reverbs, Delays and Chorus's like, especially when used with vocals and keyboards?"

My answer...(Based on the <$200 price range) I PERSONALLY feel the Virtualizer is a very useable FX unit. I didn't say the best reverb...I just think it sounds closer to natural reverb then the "hideous - metallic and harsh..." reverbs that Blue Bear hears.

Geez...I wouldn't even think of using an FX unit that sounds "hideous - metallic and harsh..." on the reverbs either. I use FX to enhance my music! I'm not a pro but I'm not deaf either!

I'm sure if you ask a Porsche owner which car handles better...a Ford or a Chevy...he'll tell you that they both handle like shit! Sure...he uses a Chevy as his winter beater...so he can give you his honest opinion...RIGHT?

Ummm...that wasn't my original question! Also...I can't afford a Porsche. (note: Works a real job...music is a fantasy job...has a wife and kids...limited budget...etc.).

Just trying to help a fellow, struggling, musician.

MaxDB

Hey max , I understand where you're comin from, but if one was to do a simple A/B comparison of the sound quality of the Virt-Lzr
vs say the Lex MPX 100, I'll guarantee you that there is an good
audible difference between each's DSP's 'Verb quality,with the
Lex-100's verbs sonically more rounded out and realistic than the
Virt's!
Now take a careful listen to the Virt-Lzr; if you listen to patches
1-7, they're all basically sound the same with the only difference
is the length of each patches verb tail. Also, the Virt's 'verbs seem
to contain a mid-rangy tone (which would be suitable for brass and reeds) but not for vocals and acoustics (the Virt's EQ help's a tad but is no where as using an para or graph EQ where maybe 1 has a chance of boosting "room" tone about 6-7 db's)
The only 'Verb patch I use on the Virt is "Concert" (patch#6) which is sufficient for my synth horn section,but otherwise for almost anything else I use my Lex 500! Much better overall!

Peace
Mr.Q

You're right, MaxDB, that was the original question. Sometimes the actual question get buried as people try to help as much as they can, but at least we're all after the same thing. In this case I think many see it as a no-brainer to shell out another $50 and get a Lexicon.

MaxDB,

you're right, I was after a comparison of those three units. Sounds like of the three the Midiverb 4 most meets my needs. However, after reading Bruce Blue Bear's post I may look around for a secondhand LXP1 or LXP5. Sounds like they may be a step up from the original contenders. Anyway, I'm glad I asked the question and I appreciate everyone's input.

Back